1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help, I need a good book ASAP!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You may also want to check out the MANY suggestions on the books thread.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

"turning down a romp in the hay"

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

"Wicked," by Gregory Maguire. It's the prequel to "The Wizard of Oz," and explains the friendship between Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, and Galinda, the Good Witch of the North, as well as a third witch. It is a very rich commentary on societal issues, also.

4. joe

joe Active Member

"You Can't Kill the Rooster" first ran in Esquire, as did "Big Boy." Bust-a-gut funny the first time -- and, hell, every time -- you read them. And I hear he's even funnier in person.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I saw him once on TV, reading the title bit from 'Me Talk Pretty.' I think it was Letterman, and it was hysterical.
    The guy is great.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

One of the best books I've ever read. I bought it when it came out and I've read it three times already.

Tim Dorsey books are also great for vacations. They are similar to Hiassen or Leonard, but I think they're much funnier. Hammerhead Ranch Motel is my favorite.

7. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

"Isaac's Storm" by Erik Larson. It's a well-written, quick read about the destruction of Galveston by the great hurricane of 1900. The portrayal of arrogant government officials who pay no attention to science that doesn't suit their personal aims might sound familiar too.

8. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

If you are interested in non-fiction and would like to learn something about the evolutioon of life try "The Ancestor's Tale" by Richard Dawkins. It's an imaginary journey back in time looking at events in the evolution of life. The model is Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales" where each of the "pilgrims" has to tell his tale on the journey; Dawkins has various species tell their story.

If you'd like a book related to sports, try "The Franchise" by Michael MacCambridge. It could also be titled "The Rise and Fall of Sports Illustrated."

I happen to think the best of John Feinstein's books is "A Civil War".

If you'd like biting sarcasm related to pop culture, consider "Red Lobster, White Trash and the Blue Lagoon" by Joe Queenan

Draft saved Draft deleted