1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help from my fellow Mac nerds?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by luckyducky, Feb 17, 2009.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

My new baby ... an aluminum unibody MacBook Pro arrives tonight. ;D I have a Powerbook G4 I've had for nearly five years and plan on moving over all my files via firewire/migration assistant. Does anyone have experience with this? My top questions are: does it move over the mail in your Mail inbox(es)? Is it worth it to reinstall the programs rather than transferring them as well?

Thanks, folks.

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

It'll do everything, seamlessly. You'll be amazed.

Enjoy.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'll say this for Mac -- a company that updates so often sure got their shit together to make transitions to new machines as easy as possible.

One of the many reasons I'm a committed Macphile, though I've only done "the big move" twice.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Please pass along a report on the new MacBook. My current MacBook is starting to fade and I've been looking at the aluminum, but haven't yet had the guts to pull the trigger.

I've been hoping for a price drop, but I think most Apple products are fairly recession-proof.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I've had the new aluminum MacBook for a few months, John, and I'm really happy with it. The no-button trackpad is very cool.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Didn't the new Macbook come without a firewire port?

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

MH ... you are correct. No firewire on the MacBook, but the MacBook Pro does have it.

8. ArnoldBabar

And I was all kinds of screwed, because my backup hard drive was firewire only. In retrospect, factoring in the cost of a new backup drive, I probably should have just bought a Pro.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Your gonna love the new aluminum book. We just got two at work.

10. ArnoldBabar

I just want to share that I got an iPhone a couple of hours ago as a birthday present. Holy crap, this thing is cool.

11. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

At&T has refurbished 3G iPhones for $99 (with 2-year contract). Might make the switch.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

My boss got one on one of out trips this summer. I was so jealous ... especially of the cool games he played on out flights. :)

My MBP was delivered five hours ago and, other than the hour it took to transfer over files, I haven't left it alone. Everything transferred great. I opted to skip the applications and just re-add them one-by-one. No hiccups yet.

I also plan on keeping this baby looking just as new as it was five hours ago, so I've ordered a couple of skins and am on an accessory outing the next couple days.

Draft saved Draft deleted