1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help...Career Advice???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ChmDogg, Jun 12, 2006.

1. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

To chime in on a pet peeve misconception of mine: Mileage reimbursement is not free money. Don't factor it into your income.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the guy said he works at a 30k paper, not a 7k twice-weekly such as yours.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Actually, could you seek out as many recent college grads (writers) as possible? I think a few of us could use a fair shot at some writing jobs.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hey bar - sorry about the poke at recent grads. i understand it's tough, especially nowadays. your post kinda smacked me in the face to that fact ... i was in your shoes once, too, sometimes that's easy to overlook.

here's a thought, though: if you're in the hiring seat, as with any other profession, it is fair that people with experience usually win out.

to be honest, i don't know if i'd ever hire a recent college grad again. one of the best hires i ever made was a recent college grad who worked at the paper for five months and then put in his notice and went back home because he was homesick. recent college grads also seem to never be happy with their first job and spend less than two years at their first paper after their co-workers spent more than a year training them.

college grads are a lot of work with an expiration date of about 18 months ... many people feel as though it just isn't worth the effort.

but, a recent college grad who's grounded, a helluva writer, not afraid to get his or her hands dirty and has a tremendous work ethic could get me to change my mind because the only thing more important than experience, to me, anyway, is work ethic.

tell you what bar, if you'd like, pm me and i'd be more than happy to give you a hand getting your resume noticed once it hits an editor's desk.

Draft saved Draft deleted