1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help...Career Advice???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ChmDogg, Jun 12, 2006.

1. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

Thanks, Ace. Good point.

2. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

Take it, but get as much money as you can. This business generally only lends itself to raises when you change papers. I'm not kidding when I tell you that it could take you several years and several papers to make up a couple thousand dollars. You also need to check the benefits and mileage rates at the new paper. That could make a difference in your salary as well. I didn't take gas/mileage into account one time and wound up losing money on a "better" job.

Good luck.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

this is the key. it's a move up. it might be unwise because of the money but career-wise, it's a step up because you know for sure you'll be at the bottom of a ladder at the new place. and you know you can climb this ladder. at the current place, there's no ladder to climb.

life isn't always about the money (unless it is -- meaning maybe you have serious financial issues...that's none of my business but if you don't have 'em, then don't think about the money in this case).

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i disagree leo, it's always about the money, especially what this fine gentleman is spelling out for us.what do you want to bet the difference is more than 10 percent of his total pay ... chm, you wanna chime in? is it 10 percent or more?

5. Chm, You are getting good advice on the salary. If you settle for markedly less than you're making now, you'll look desperate to your new employers and it could take you years to make up the difference. Plus, if you do move on in 2-3 years, your next employer will peg you lower based on salary history. If the 7-day AM makes you a serious offer, ask them to match your current salary, at the least. A token raise wouldn't be out of the question, as it sounds like the AM considers itself more big-time than your current PMer.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

What Terd says is right. The only chance you have at getting significantly more money in this industry is by switching jobs...even if they bump you up to a better salary scale at the current job, it's never more than two, three grand. If you're fairly happy at the current situation, don't leave for less money....get the new employer to at least match your current salary (and maybe throw in a little extra vacation too)

7. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

Two quick things:

1. I'm not sure yet, cause I don't have the final offer, but the paycut would not be 10% of my pay now. A bit less than that probably.
    -- I also need to factor in mileage (I hardly drive at all now) and overtime (I've never gotten overtime once at my current paper). I talked with a friend that works there now and he said that he probably made an additional $5K this year just from these two things above his base salary.

2. I checked the cost of living calculators and what I'm making here is equivalent to a salary of $3K less in the new locale.

Thoughts now?

Remember, I'm at the absolute ceiling at my current paper and I will be definitely miserable within 6 months to a year. I should clarify something...I said I'm comfortable at my job, but that is more socially and work-environment. I don't really feel challenged and I'm not necessarily "happy" professionally; I'm just okay with things.

Hope that helps.

8. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

If the pay cut is relatively small, then what would it hurt to see if they'll match what you're making now?

Seems like they're in the ballpark, see what they can do.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow chm, you've made your decision, take the damn job and don't even bother asking for another red cent from the people who want to hire you ... and maybe, just maybe, if you put your ear to the ground you can hear a collective sigh from everybody who works in this industry because of the pure fact another sucker has been lowballed and is still happy with his lot in life.

enjoy the cost of living.

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

1. Those cost of living calculators are absolutely bogus. Only go by housing costs.

2. But don't underestimate the expense of driving, either. An extra 20 miles per day adds up.

3. Never accept a pay cut. The bottom line is that they want to hire you. They're not going to be mad if you request a little more on salary to match or exceed what you're making now.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

heineken - with the price of gas nowadays, and counting wear and tear, we're losing money on driving for the company.

12. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

I get the point. I'll get as much as humanly possible from them.

Draft saved Draft deleted