1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help buying Digital Picture frame

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

I'm looking to buy a frame for the girlfriend for Christmas. Let me know what I need so its not a crappy one but I can't spend over $75.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Staples has an 8" one for $69. Has decent features. Off-brand name, so I can't vouch for quality control.
    Also, see: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/64532/
    (Though, there wasn't much help there...)

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Can't help much with specifics on brand or anything, but I would recommend going with a standard size as opposed to widescreen. A lot of them are widescreen, but the photos you'll be loading on the frame likely aren't.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Keep in mind that you'll also have to buy or provide a memory card (SD card, memory stick) for the frame to work, so factor that expense in.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The price usually reflects screen size/resolution, whether you want Wifi and ability to play music and/or video, and some internal memory. If you just want to display pictures and don't need a large screen (if a 7- or 8-incher is OK), you may even be able to get a name brand like Kodak for under $75.

http://www.consumersearch.com/digital-picture-frames

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Some have internal memories. I know the Sony one I bought does. So does the HP one I just bought. However, the HP one is a bitch to load. You can't load photos from the computer to the frames internal memory. You can only do so from a memory card.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ms. Slappy bought one for her mother last year.. spent about 100 bucks and it was awful... still havent seen one I like,.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yeah, for the one I bought you have to buy a separate USB cord to link computer and frame directly. I was able to get photos preloaded on it using a memory stick, but even though the frame plays music, I couldn't get music files to transfer.

To do that, apparently you have to use the software CD that comes with it -- which doesn't work on a Mac. Funny, on the box they didn't list owning a Windows PC as a requirement for using the fucking frame. Dicks.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I just love the idea of someone named Simon buying a digital picture frame. I thought the things you drew came true??

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

That was my big worry; being Mac compatible. But I didn't get one that played music. And yes, I had to USB cord, too. But I just used the one that came with our digital camera.

The HP, though. That was a bitch. Had to bring home a card reader from work, transfer photos onto the card, then pop the card into the frame. Then I have the option of either running the slideshow of all the photos on the card, or transferring only 45 pictures to the small frame's internal memory.

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I bought an HP model for my mom for Christmas. You can load through a stick or a USB cable, which is what I did, the cable. All you do is right click on the photo you're sending. I spent $80 or so at Staples. I think the images look OK, and it seems pretty easy to use, which is a must, my mom being 80+

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i hope this doesn't sound too ignorant of me but on your typical $75-$100 frame does it have to be connected to the computer or have a memory stick plugged in all the time to see the photos? and how many photos do they typically hold?

Draft saved Draft deleted