1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HELP: Books for Kids

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Dec 17, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

so i guess she's too old for this

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'd like to put in a vote for the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman. It raises a lot of questions about science vs. religion and the nature of the human soul in an absorbing quest story, the protagonist of which is an 11 year old girl named Lyra. Engaging, accessible and food for thought - I'd have eaten this trilogy alive at 13. Heck, I'm crazy for it now.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I would also add a recommendation for Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time".

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Throw her some classics from Hemingway, Twain, Faulkner, Updike, Hurston, etc. They won't gear someone towards a particular interest, but will always make someone think.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Great Shark Hunt.

6. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Girl I know named her cat Holden. Girls like Mockingbird, too.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Has she read the Harry Potter series at this point? There's a new JK Rowlings book out too.
    How about the "Twilight" series.... hear those are huge among the teen set. Again, it kinda depends on her reading level.

I always give books for christmas as I'm a big book/reading promoter too.

Draft saved Draft deleted