1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HELP: Books for Kids

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I have a 13-year-old cousin who is very smart and loves to read. I want to get her books that she will enjoy, but that will also spark in her an interest in learning more about the topic, whether it be science, history, engineering, etc. (think Death by Black Hole by Neil DeGrasse Tyson except a little more accessible to a 13-year-old).

Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Do you have her reading level? I can pull some stuff from my teaching files when I get home and send you list tomorrow.

3. Point of Order

I'll try to find out from her dad. I do know she's in 8th grade and she's among the smarter kids in her class. She's into something called Judy B. Jones books now, but I think she's read most if not all of them. Thanks.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Are you looking for books more geared towards a particular interest (i.e. engineering, psychology, etc.) or just some good literature?

5. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

My favorite book in 8th grade was "Lightning" by Dean R. Koontz.

6. Point of Order

I want something geared toward a particular interest. It doesn't have to be science or anything in particular. I just want something that will introduce her to new ideas in a positive way. I love her family to death. They are a small-town, hard-working, blue-collar family. But a UFC fight is probably the most culture they experience on a regular basis -- not that there's anything wrong with that. I'd like to get something that lets her know there's a whole big interesting world out there and you should seek it out. I don't want to get her a bubble-gum pop lit book for kids.

7. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

To Kill a Mockingbird.

Catcher in the rye.

seriously, go buy the girl a box of second-hand classics from a variety of genres. If you don't know her very well, odds are you'll need more than one shot to find the book that will change her life.

8. It doesn't get better than The Lord of the Rings, which may not fit your scholarly definition but is definitely worth anyone's time.

9. Point of Order

I like the Catcher in the Rye suggestion. I've got it on the shelf, too. Reckon a girl would enjoy it?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If she likes fiction, the Fab Five or 5 People You Meet With Morrie

11. Point of Order

I just looked on the shelf and found Of Mice and Men and Lord of the Flies (although I haven't read Lord of the Flies yet and I really want to, should I keep it?). I had Tuesday's with Morrie once but I think I got rid of it on Amazon. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

12. Lord of the Flies is fantastic. Read it in a couple of hours then give it to her.

Draft saved Draft deleted