1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

help a technically-illiterate brotha out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by proudpittsburgher, Jan 22, 2007.

1. OK, so here's the deal. I really want to get XM satelite Radio, but I don't exactly know what to buy. I have asked certain people in the stores, but haven't really gotten the answers I wanted, so I aim to get advice from XM users on this board. What do I need? I know I am getting the home boombox, but I don't know if I need the Audiovox Xpress, Delphi RoadyXT or the Sportscaster for the car. I really want the unit for baseball games, but I don't know exactly if I only get sports programing with the sportscaster or if I can get all programming with any of the receivers. Also, when I went into Best Buy, the guy also said I need a few extra things to help with reception in certain areas. Do I really need this stuff? Are people satisfied with it's reception/programming. I already know I want XM for the baseball, so an XM/Serious debate would be a threadjack at this point. Seriously, I need help people! I leave it up to you. You may return to your lives.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Right now, all the programming is included with the monthly fee. Some of the stuff (like O&A) used to be premium, but now it's all on there, including the baseball.

I'd just get the Roady for your car, then get the home kit for your Roady for when you bring it in. Saves money on the boombox and money on the extra monthly fee. I have the Roady and it's been real good.

I don't know what the guy's talking about as far as "extra stuff." I'd just get the basic home kit and see how that works. Just make sure you put the antenna where it can see the southern sky (even out a window) and you're good to go. The only place I ever had reception problems was driving through the redwoods, where the antenna couldn't see the sky at all.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes, pp, the dealers really try to oversell the extra stuff. I had very little problem, and my set-up is exactly like OTD suggested -- the Roady, with the boombox indoors. It has a detachable faceplate which you take from car to house.

I did have to figure out just where in the house I was going to get good reception. After all, you're talking about the signal going through walls and all. Now, if my signal begins to weaken on the road, I usually just jam the faceplate into the base a little bit harder, and the signal comes right back. Sounds kind of barbaric, I know, but it works.

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I thought this thread was going to be about Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I have the original skyfi, which is probably isn't sold now. But anyway, the "extra stuff" for reception is hogwash. As long as you have a clear path to the southern sky, it'll come in. My reception only fades in the car when I'm right next to big buildings that face south. Otherwise, it's a-OK.

I have the boombox for the home, and my suggestion there is to put it in a spot where you can have the antannae (or however you spell it) face south as well. You should have a few feet of cable to work with.

Draft saved Draft deleted