1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello SJ.com, I'm Austin

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by austinjs14, Feb 2, 2015.

1. austinjs14

austinjs14 New Member

Hello SJ.com and all the sports journalists out there. My name is Austin Smith. I am 30 years old and live in Frisco, Texas. I am currently in my last year of finishing up a BA in Mass Communications and Journalism at Ashford University (Online). I also attended the University of North Texas on two occasions. The first was as a football player (with very little help to my academic career) and the second was to get a teaching degree in Math so I could coach football and teach. I never finished the teaching degree, instead choosing to go for my dream to get into sports broadcasting and journalism. I would like to point out that my passion is the NFL Draft, but I have extensive knowledge in most of the major sports (football, baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, etc.). I would also like to point out that I have very little experience. My experience basically sums up to running an NFL Draft blog (nfldraft365.blogspot.com) in which I posted articles as opposed to topics for around 5 years. That got me noticed by drafttek.com and I was invited to come on as a team analyst of the Denver Broncos. I have been doing that for the past three months and love writing about the draft. While it is getting me a little experience, it only consists of me writing comments about the Broncos predicted picks in each mock draft. I obviously would like to get more experience that can help build my resume. I would truly appreciate any advice anyone here can give me on what steps to take to make this happen. I know applying for internships is one path. With very little published experience I worry about how I will stack up to others but I am certain that once I get to an interview process, I can prove my knowledge and passion. Once again, I would like to point out that I am not limited to just writing about the draft or football. I am very knowledgeable about most sports. I am excited about joining this site and the potential advice I can get from any of its members.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I am anxiously awaiting his review of the 2010 draft, which should be out any day now.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Awesome. I thought for sure only Boom would remember Tim so I deleted the original reference.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You'd be a lot cooler if your name were Frisco and you lived in Austin.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Agreed

Songbird likes this.
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Hi Sandy! I mean, Austin!

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If you're asking for advice I can't stress this enough: Get that teaching degree. Start teaching.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted