1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello Friends: Official Masters tuuuuuurnament thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 1, 2012.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Commercial-free sounds good until you see how crucial those two minutes are to refilling snacks and urinating.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Awesome.

I do like that this falls on an off weekend for NASCAR. Means I can actually watch it.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Talk the Vatican into Easter falling on the second Sunday in April and we're all set.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that Sunday, regardless of who's on the first page, is riveting.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Tell that to Mike Wier when he won it.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm think Rory because of how close he came last year and his immediate follow up at the US Open. Tiger because he just won and has been in the hunt but has not won since 2005. Phil because he's shown he can be awful then a winner. But, this being golf, who's going to birdie the last 4 holes to win this year? I'm thinking Keegan Bradley, a big hitter with a nice putting touch.

Side track, but what is all the love for Couples? The guy won 1 major, less than Lee Janzen, Bill Rogers, Andy North, Cabrera, same as Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton, Wayne Grady, Paul Lawrie, yet many think he's a "great" golfer. Sorry, he has one of the purest swings, but he's come up too short in the majors for me to consider him "great."

7. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

I'm liking Keegan Bradley more and more.

I thought he would just be a flash-in-the-pan, one-hit wonder after his PGA win.

But this guy's got some game, and he is playing with so much swagger right now.

Would love to see a showdown Sunday afternoon between Tiger, Rory, and Phil.

It's also time for Lee Westwood to win a major. Same for Luke Donald.

8. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Do not agree that rain will take 2/3 of field out of it.

Case in point: 2003 Masters. Rain wreaked havoc on first two rounds, washing out the first round completely on Thursday.

Your top-five finishers that year:

Mike Weir (won in a playoff)
    Len Mattiace
    Lefty
    Jim Furyk
    Jeff Maggert

With the exception of Phil, none of those guys are known for their length off the tee.

9. I like Bradley to be on the first page Sunday and contend.
    Also agree with Mahan ... Though I think history is against him. ... Can't remember but the number of guys who won a Green Jacket after a win the previous week is pretty slim - (Mickelson maybe?)
    Speaking of Mickelson... I think he is gonna struggle like hell.
    Rory .. I don't think there's any doubt he'll be around Sunday.
    I also like KJ Choi.

Tiger vs. the Field?
    God help me, I'd take Tiger.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Remember, length is a very relative term for the pros. Even the "short" hitters put it out there a long way. Soft conditions are a big break for them, as it means the mid-to-short irons they hit onto greens on par 4s have the same chance of sticking as do the wedges the bombers are hitting.
    I do believe Phil was the last guy to win the week before and then win the Masters, back when the week before was Atlanta.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

For the win!

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He won in Houston two years ago then followed up with the Masters.

Draft saved Draft deleted