1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello, friends, I'm Going to Augusta ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Feb 24, 2020.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

... And I could use some travel advice. A friend of mine has entered the lottery every year since we were about 18 and finally scored tickets to the Monday practice round this year. Neither of us have ever been, but I'm sure some of you have gone, either to cover the Masters or as patrons.

I'm wondering about which are the best hotels to stay at? Is it better to be closer to the course, or downtown Augusta? My Marriott points aren't accepted that week, so we're looking for a place that's decent, but won't break the bank. We don't want to stay in a shithole, though.

Any other advice on food, restaurants, things to do when we aren't at the course, parking, etc. is all appreciated.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Good luck with hotels. At the two Masters I covered, a group of writers from New England rented a home for the week. I knew guys who stayed in Greenville., S.C. and commuted from a Marriott there. Would that work for you?

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

How long of a drive is that to Augusta National? What is traffic like?

My buddy lives outside Charlotte, so I'm going to fly there and we will drive down to Augusta, so driving isn't an issue. It's mostly a consideration of difficulty getting to Augusta National and having something to do Sunday and Monday night when we aren't on the course.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Memory is a bitch. Not Greenville, Columbia, the state capital of SC. It's an hour 15 minutes and all Interstate. There's always a traffic backup right by the course, but they have it down pretty well. As for things to do, I've never been to Columbia, but any place large enough to have two gas stations is gonna have more to do than Augusta.

5. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I've stayed in Columbia both times - about an hour away, all interstate. My only complaint would be the weather - we were rained out on a Monday after about 90 minutes the first visit. Everything else (traffic, concessions, merchandise) was tolerable.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That’s debatable. Plenty of action on Washington Road. Had some good times there about 20 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted