1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hell of a story; where did it come from?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Jun 16, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Or it could be the Blade's policy...

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Very possible. I just called out one of the local TV stations for pulling the byline off an AP story and replacing it with a "posted by" tag. No. 1, I don't really give a crap who posted it on your crappy Web site, and No.2, a casual reader might see a name and mistakenly conclude that it belonged to the writer. So now they're going with "(station name) Sports" and the dateline/AP tag. Eh, I can live with that, I guess.

3. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

Many years ago at a newspaper company softball game, I introduced the new AP reporter to our sports editor. The AP guy had covered a lot of sports half way across the country, including a couple of World Series.

When he heard the name, the sports editor said, "Yes, I know you! I've cut your name off of thousands of stories."

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Excellent story.

I hope the daughter contacted him.

5. sportsed

sportsed Member

It's very confusing. Also confusing is why someone would put a Columbus dateline on a story that paints a picture of what happened across the country. ...

6. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Good catch overall sportsed, although the scene being described in the lede happened four years earlier. Now it does appear the Blade is sort of ackowledging the story came from Columbus without giving the writer or paper of record credit. Very, very odd. Plus, the original story ran three weeks ago (May 26th) so it wasn't even a daily pull. WTF?

7. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Awesome story. There, but for the grace of God, go any of us who cover track and field. I was nearly hit by a implement during the finals for the girls discus at a regional meet in Wisconsin back in 2004. And I was about 30 feet out of bounds in an area I thought was safe.

I, too, hope the daughter contacted the athlete. That would have been a good chance for closure for both of them.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dont pin this all on the Blade. I lifted a sentence from it and Googled it in hopes of finding the original. You'd be surprised at the number of places -- print and web -- that ran it in the same way.

9. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Well, can we agree it was someone's screw-up? That's a real shame because the writer of a piece like this deserves to be recognized.

Draft saved Draft deleted