1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hell no to the Redskins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 8, 2014.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Trademark Office says no to Redskins Hog Rinds because Redskins is derogatory.

What will they do when Washington Redskins comes around??

http://www.wtop.com/363/3537719/Trademark-office-says-no-to-Redskins-Hog-Rinds

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

We gotta do something about Oklahoma, too ...

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So unfair. Morbidly obese racists need love too.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The decision to cancel the Redskins trademark was upheld in federal court today.

Federal judge orders cancellation of Redskins trademark registrations - LA Times

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I read over the Gerald and am now picturing Judge Bruce Lee

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Time for the nickname to go and I don't give a rat's ass how many reservation high school football teams call themselves the Redskins. We're talking about one of the highest-profile franchises in the highest-profile sport in America.
    What Little Danny doesn't seem to realize is that it will be a financial windfall. The minute they rename the team the Washington Warriors or something generic, the die-hards will buy out the stock of Redskins stuff. Then most of them will buy hats, t-shirts, etc., with the new nickname.
    Either way, this will never be a winning team against until that little turd sells the team or dies -- and we know how long NFL owners seem to live.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Cut your losses, DannyBoy. Hondo is right.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Need schieza's legal analysis. He owns this issue.

YankeeFan and JackReacher like this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This and JPP's finger are Belicheat's fault.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So now "is offensive" to some group is a legal standard? Orwell was 31 years early.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's offensive to the group that matters. Do we go back to making acceptable to use racial slurs to African-Americans because it might only offend them?
    Get real.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Assume for the sake of the argument that you have a valid point there. At this point, I'd still change it. There is a f*cking stink all over that franchise over this, and it isn't going away. Its becoming bad business, simple as that. Change it and move on.

Let me put it another way: I wouldn't draw my line in the sand for this franchise (half the commentators don't mention the name, Fed Ex is considering withdrawing stadium sponsorship, etc) over the name "Redskins".

Pick another battle and move on.

Draft saved Draft deleted