1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hell, let's just play the entire Big XII schedule in the Metroplex

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Mar 22, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Gee, you think the Red River Shootout maybe inspires a little jealousy? Days after Arkansas and Texas A&M strike up a neutral-site series at the new Cowboys stadium, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech follow. suit.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=389286

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

The Big 12 will hold an eight-week tournament beginning in late September at Jerry's World.

3. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

I'm fairly certain the OSU-TT in Dallas deal has been in the works for some time.

4. Yes.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's a bidding war between the Cotton Bowl and JerryWorld to see who can out-showcase the other. The Cotton Bowl already also has Prairie View-Grambling. There's been talk of Notre Dame playing Baylor there too.

The CB is the one smarting and looking to make a big splash, but Jerry's money-whipping the schools.

It's getting to the point (it seems) that all Big 12 South teams will be playing each other in Dallas eventually. The exceptions will always be the Bedlam game and A&M-UT.

We're starting to get the same thing in basketball here too, with Tech and Baylor making nonconference appearances at the AAC.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Interesting take FB. Games may be bid on like boxing matches and Super Bowls. If that becomes commonplace, then every taxpayer ought to boycott, any, and I mean any, home college stadium improvement. For what? 2 games? The JV schedule?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Baylor-ND will be played but it'll be played in New Orleans.

Because the Baylor-ND game is a Notre Dame home game it had to be moved to the Superdome. The new Big XII TV contract prohibits games featuring conference schools being played in the Big XII "footprint" from being televised on other networks and ESPN/ABC wouldn't make an exception to allow NBC to show the game.

Which begs the question, will A&M be the designated home team for all the A&M-Arky games? The Baylor folks have a legit beef if that game shows up on CBS every other year.

8. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

I feel like I should point this out: It ain't "Big XII," people. It's Big 12. The only place it's XII is in the logo.

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

With some of the comments made about Lubbock on the jobs board, I would think most scribes would rather spend the time in the Metromess than Lubbock or Stillwater.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Lubbock's not that bad a place. There are much worse locations in the Big 12.

Stillwater is where Jesus stepped out of his sandals before he walked off the end of the earth.

11. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I thought about going to school in Lubbock...that is, until someone informed me that their apartment had hurricane windows to keep dirt and sand out from the wind/dirt storms.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

These movesare done for three reasons:

1. Recruiting in Metroplex area
    2. Better chance at it being a TV game
    3. Boosters now want home "road" trips...preferably to Jerry World.

More of it's about boosters than you think. You don't think the A&M/Tech/Okie State money bunnies who live in Dallas don't love the idea? Not to mention Arkansas....you throw a rock in the Metroplex, and it just might hit an Arkansas native.

Draft saved Draft deleted