1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

He'll fight for weird casting, wherever there's taste . . .GI Joe is here!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

No Sgt. Slaughter as, well, himself?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Batman, I know what you mean about Breaker. I remember the storyline. They killed off a bunch of characters in the space of a few issues during a "war" in a fictional Middle Eastern nation.

But TigerVols is right. The "Real American Hero" stuff is gone for an international task force. So much for giving the fans what they want.

They even changed the logo.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/02/17/first-look-gi-joe-movie-logo/

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sorry, but Sienna Miller just doesn't have the acting chops to pull of the role of the diabolical Baroness, one of the most challenging roles of our time.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wasn't Snake Eyes more of a special-ops guy than a star-throwin', samurai-sword-wieldin' ninja? The actual ninja was COBRA's Storm Shadow, who will be played in the movie by Byung-hyun Lee (as opposed to Byung-hyun Kim).

5. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Transformers...G.I. Joe...The Watchmen...

Hollywood. Ruining your childhood for as long as anyone can remember.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Nope, Snake Eyes was the dude who at first was presented as an enigmatic commando. Then they revealed his past with Storm Shadow's family, the Arashikage ninja clan, which was laughably presented in recent retellings as a more classy and honorable brand of ninja clan. The ninja were generally silent assassins, knives and poison in the dark.

Once they put the katana in Snake Eyes' hands, the comic devolved into too much ninja stuff and his adventures, and got far from being a military comic. Plus, it lost the clever early depictions of Cobra as a terrorist organization with its own small town.

And, Embassy Row is right.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If Byung-hyun Kim were a ninja, would he dish out his throwing stars with that same funky underhanded delivery?

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, and his opponents would hit them 400 feet back over his head with their swords.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

G.I. Joe was the first comic book I ever read, and for a long time the only one. After reading almost 70 of the 107 issues before that one, only a few characters had ever died — and most of those were fringe characters who bought it within the first 20 issues, before I started reading. Hell, I thought the comic was cool because guys actually DID get wounded, unlike the ridiculous cartoon.
    Then, in the space of 22 pages, we see Doc get his head blown off, three of the tank drivers get torn apart by a heavy machine gun, and longtime favorites like Quick Kick and Breaker blown up on a captured Cobra tank.
    Welcome to war, young Batman.
    It was quite jarring, to say the least.

As for the new logo, that's to be expected. And it's not too bad. I can live with it. I just hope the overhaul doesn't extend to the comic book realm. Devil's Due, the current publisher, has lost the license and is wrapping up its series in a few more issues. I fear that whoever gets it next is going to butcher it.

10. outofplace

As usual, Piotr is the fountain of knowledge from which we other humble comic book geeks can only hope to drink.

At one point, it was even "G.I. Joe Starring Snake Eyes" and they started giving other characters ninja-like skills (Zartan and Firefly come to mind). I read the series from issue #5 to the end, but there were some ugly turns along the way.

I understand the sentiment about ruining our childhood, but if this turns out to be as entertaining as Transformers I will be happy. You just have to go in with the idea that this is only going to fit very loosely with the characters and stories we grew up with.

11. outofplace

Your comic book history sounds a bit like mine. I had read a few comics here and there, but G.I. Joe was the first I ever collected on a monthly basis. I still have my collection from issue #5 straight through to the end of the Marvel Comics run in a box in our storage room. I can't remember the issue number, but the story had Snake-Eyes writing a letter to the son of an old friend who wanted to join the military.

I hadn't heard that Devil's Due lost the license. That sucks. I haven't loved everything about their version of the series, but Cobra Commander has never been written better.

Yeah, I'm really going to hate it if they fuck this up.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The last issue of the Marvel series was #155. It's actually worth quite a bit now, because they had destroyed the book so badly by then that nobody was buying it and there weren't a lot of copies out there. Now that the book is semi-popular, and with the movie coming up, the last issue might fetch you $50 or $60.
    Sadly, I stopped reading about the time it became "G.I. Joe starring Snake-Eyes", around issue #135 or so. The book had already been sliding for a while by then, and from glancing at the next few issues after that (the Transformers crossover) I didn't miss much. Still wish I had been there for the the end, though. I still have a complete run from about #26 to #135, plus all but a few early issues of the new series.

Draft saved Draft deleted