1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

He'll fight for weird casting, wherever there's taste . . .GI Joe is here!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Eh.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/gallery/1338/gi-joe/?__source=omg

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I grew up with G.I. Joe, read the comics and collected the toys, but I have no idea how this movie is going to work. Snake Eyes looks pretty cool, but I have a feeling the flick's going blow chunks.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You know what gives it away? There's a Wayans in the cast.

4. What'd they do, pick names out of a hat?

And who the hell is Heavy Duty? Eko should be playing Roadblock, the heavy machine gunner/gourmet chef.

And another thing, there's no WAY this movie can suck more than this did: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093066/.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Of course GI Joe is going to suck -- and btw, because Hollywood is all about the overseas market now, they've changed the name -- GI Joe is no longer about the American soldier; instead the name stands for "Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity."
    I kid you not.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If it's got Snake Eyes, I'm in. I read awhile back where the script that was greenlighted didn't include him.

He looks pretty badass and you know Ray Park can bring the ninja, but where's his wolf?

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wassssss onccccceeee a cool concccceeeeppttt....

Seriously, some of the casting isn't bad. Ray Park is a good movie martial artist who pulls off non-speaking roles well (like Darth Maul and the opening moments of Men in Black). Snake-Eyes is right in his wheelhouse. And I read in USA Today that Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who, Heroes) is playing Destro. I like his work. The guy playing Duke has the right look, and I think Dennis Quaid can pull off Hawk.
    Some of the others, though....blech. Marlon Wayans as Ripcord? WTF? Where did they even pull Ripcord from? Why not Stalker? Or Flint? Maybe I should be happy they didn't resurrect Big Lob.
    And when will they stop pushing Heavy Duty as the modern-day Roadblock ripoff? Can't we just use Roadblock? Wasn't Michael Clarke Duncan available?
    On the Cobra side, it would've been nice to get an A-list actor to play Cobra Commander. Kevin Spacey, Gary Oldman or John Malkovich would've knocked it out of the park. I don't know anything about Gordon-Leavitt.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

WHERE. THE. FUCK. IS. SHIPWRECK?!

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

this movie=epic fail

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1046173/fullcredits#cast

IMDB page with more casting.

Christopher Eccleston (Claude the invisible man on Heroes and a former Dr. Who) as Destro and Arnold Vosloo (Imhotep in the Mummy movies) as Zartan seem like solid choices.

Putting Ray Park in Snake Eyes' costume is a no brainer (spectacular fighting skills and he doesn't have to talk).

I agree that they should have gone with Roadblock instead of Heavy Duty.

I loved this stuff as a kid. The more recent comic isn't bad, either. A darker tone rather than the corny, superhuman ninjas, Transformers crossover crap that ruined the end of the original comic.

Edit: Batman beat me to some of that.

I do remember Ripcord. He was a bigger part of the cartoon than the comic. But if you're going to go that route, I agree with Doc....give us Shipwreck. Better yet, put Stalker in there. Hell, they put Breaker in. Give us some more of the original team (yes, I can still name them).

From what I heard about the current script, a younger guy as Cobra Commander makes some sense. Apparently, they are planning more than one movie at once and figuring on him growing into the role.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Shit, Breaker's been dead for going on 20 years in the comics (yes, I'm a huge fan; yes, I still read them -- the current storyline where Cobra Commander actually takes over the world is pretty cool). When the current comic rebooted a couple years ago, they started with what was, essentially, the corps cast of fan favorites -- Duke, Hawk, Shipwreck, Roadblock, Snake-Eyes, Storm Shadow (who they'd have to flip to the Cobra side for an origin story, of course), Flint, Scarlett, Stalker and a couple others that casual fans might not be as aware of. But what's wrong with taking any six or seven of those and using them?
    Like others, I'm geeked to see a G.I. Joe movie being made. And, like others, I have horrible flashbacks of Cobra-La dancing in my head.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

My thought exactly.

And I'm a huge GI Joe fan from back in the day. I still, sadly, have every toy stored at my parents house.

Draft saved Draft deleted