1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

He'll Eat Anything

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

well almost. Interesting story in WSJ - certainly a different look at things.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB10001424052748704604704576220833352472802.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_editorsPicks_2

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's fantastic.

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Very good piece. I almost couldn't get past the lede, and certainly had to stop reading about halfway through, out of sheer disgust. But in this case I consider it a sign of respect to the writer for adequately capturing the subject's, shall we say, weird penchant.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've lost track of how many sentences I've written over the years.
    Never did write any like this: "Someone pulled something out of their nose and he ate it for $400," Price said.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That is awesome. And by God do baseball players have too much money.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

From the story:
    Where do I sign up?

7. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Wondered about that myself.

I remember hearing stories about 20 years ago about Mets picther Julio Machado, who ate all kinds of weird stuff (bugs, etc...). But I think most of that was in a cultural context. You really can't make that kind of argument after eating someone's boogie.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I would drink a gallon of milk in 12 minutes. For considerably less than $3,000.

9. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I used to be able to do this or at least come close. Then we had children, and my wife breast-fed. I haven't been able to consider having even a glass of milk for nearly 15 years.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

The part about getting punched in the twig and berries for $50 a pop, with a bonus after 10!, made me both guffaw and cringe.

11. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

We once had a guy in the newsroom who would eat anything. Drank a jar of pickle juice in the newsroom and promptly threw up in his trash can. Priceless!

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That was funny.

What do they get for meal money on the road? If he gets anywhere near what the players get, he can probably live off of that.

It's also probably where the players' cash comes from.

Draft saved Draft deleted