1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Helio Castroneves indicted for tax evasion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Philosopher, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

Full story can be found here.

Excerpt:

What an idiot ... after his Dancing With The Stars win, he was part of IndyCar's comeback. Now it's likely that he'll be serving at least four years in prison.

I just did a quick calculation of his likely sentence under the federal Sentencing Guidelines, and even if he pleads guilty (and gets credit for doing so), he's looking at a 46-57 month sentence under the Guidelines.

It's highly unlikely that he won't see significant prison time, unless he can win at trial.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Julio Castroneves indicted for tax evasion

Good to see you got his name right... Oh wait...

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Re: Julio Castroneves indicted for tax evasion

His name is Helio Castroneves and the topic is already being talked about on the open-wheel thread.

4. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

Sorry about that. I searched before making the thread and didn't find those posts. Probably because I misspelled his first name. :p

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't mind a new thread, considering it's a bit of a closed shop on the open-wheel thread. Not enough open-wheel fans on this board :(

What's interesting to me is that Team Penske sent his checks, apparently with no withholding, to a Netherlands company. Granted, drivers are independent contractors so that could explain the lack of withholding, but wouldn't your boss/client think it's weird if you asked your checks to be sent to some odd place overseas? I guess we'll find out.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Helio Iglesias is a much better singer than race car driver.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Guess they'd better make sure to put extra razor wire atop the fences at Leavenworth, just to make sure he stays put.

8. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

It's possible that Penske brought this to the attention of the IRS. It's also possible that Penske thought something was suspicious but did nothing about it. That doesn't mean they were co-conspirators unless they knew about the tax evasion scheme and helped make it succeed.

One other thing I wanted to correct from the open-wheel thread -- just because Penske isn't indicted doesn't mean that it has no potential liability. It could just mean that the prosecutors don't have enough evidence to make a case against Penske at this time. I'm not saying they were involved -- most likely, they weren't -- but the mere fact that they weren't indicted at this time doesn't mean much.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Handcuffs and leg chains? Sheesh.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/indycar/news/story?id=3624257

10. 2muchcoffeeman

He's known for his ability to climb fences, after all.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

You dirty dog! Stealing my schtick from the open wheel thread! :D

12. 2muchcoffeeman

Seriously .... I haven't read that one yet today. :D

Do you suppose Helio will be running at Surfers Paradise?

Draft saved Draft deleted