1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Helen Thomas: The Playboy Interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Mar 19, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

She's back:

http://www.playboy.com/articles/helen-thomas-playboy-interview/index.html?page=2

2. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

This thread article is useless without pictures.

3. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Fascinating interview. Love Helen Thomas's zeal, passion, wit. I wonder, though, whether it really made sense for her to have a seat in the WH press corps. Obviously, she's a legend, but she framed any question with a serious agenda — even if she happened to be correct on the issue. At first glance, I feel like that doesn't belong in that setting. You have to think it drove the non-columnists in the room nuts. At the same time, it's nice to know there was at least one person trying to cut through the "shading" of the truth that goes on in that setting.

Regardless... great interview. Elated Playboy sent a Jew to interview her, and even more thrilled she tried to serve him a ham sandwich.

Oh, Helen.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There is something about Helen Thomas and Playboy in the same sentence that leaves me limp for words.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I read Playboy only for the nudity

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Great interview. Won't really change any minds, though. The haters will still hate her, and she'll still have her supporters. Most people will be somewhere in the middle, or completely indifferent.

I've never had a position on her one way or the other. She's a trailblazer in the field, and her place in journalism history is secure. She has very strong opinions on the Israel-Palestine situation, and they just happen to be the politically incorrect ones. Kudos to her for sticking to her guns, at a very high personal cost.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes, anti-Semites will still support her.

Besides, what's her legacy? She was never known as a great reporter or columnist. Her notoriety comes only from her longevity.

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Sorry, folks, but criticizing Israel does not make one an anti-Semite. As much as you might wish it to be so, it's not.

Anyone who wants to judge her legacy might be well-served to pick up a book or two. You might learn something. A good place to start would be "Front Row at the White House," her autobiography.

Maybe after you know a little more about her personal history and accomplishments, you'll be a little more qualified to discuss her legacy. It's certainly based on much more than longetivity.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I thought it was a headline from The Onion.

10. I agree with that and wish there was less blind support for Israel from the U.S.

That said, I'm afraid that if you're judging Helen on the totality of her statements (including this interview) it's hard not to say that she is both anti-Israel and anti-Semitic.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

You can be appalled by the treatment of the Palestinians without being anti-Semitic. You can't believe that all media and financial institutions are controlled by the Jews without being anti-Semitic.

Helen Thomas is an anti-Semite.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Helen Thomas was good at the beginning but she went too far.

(too soon?)

Draft saved Draft deleted