1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Helen Thomas Quits (UPDATE: She's Back!)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Point of Order, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Re: Helen Thomas Quits

I just got done taking out the uselessness. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today but I'm immediately suspending anyone who posts another stupid personal insult or ridiculously off-topic post on this thread. And I'm completely serious.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks, Lucas.

Damn good editing.

3. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Here is the one thing that has bothered me about this whole deal. Several folks, including Ari Fleischer, have chimed in saying that this would be equivalent to telling blacks to go back to Africa. But in fact aren't Jews going to Palestine the actual equivalent of that? Basically, it was founded under the same principle as the country of Liberia. (A homeland for the displaced to return to).

I can understand why some people are offended, I just believe they are using a poor analogy.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Saying the Jews don't belong there is a sensitive subject.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Helen Thomas, like anyone else, has her beliefs. She is entitled to them. However at 89, and during a White House gathering, she SHOULD have known how to temper her remarks. I truly respect what she has done as a journalist but at 89, its obvious that she was long overdue to retire. I wish her the best. And for the younger set out there, here is another lesson on how dangerous cameras and the Internet are.

6. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I can fathom it. She's 89 years old. My grandparents occasionally say things I find completely unacceptable, in part just because they're of a different generation and socially accepted opinions on issues have fundamentally changed (I'm not saying all older people are like this, mind you. It's not an excuse). This is all the more reason why she should've retired a decade ago, though. Nobody wants to hear what my grandmother thinks about American-Israeli foreign policy (and I'm meh on the appropriateness of any member of the Washington press corps commenting on policy issues like this).

I still have a great deal of admiration for her career, particularly what she accomplished as a woman and what she did, both symbolically and actively, for female journalists.

The pressure not to openly criticize Israel in this county is a whole other issue which, imo, this incident only vaguely touches on. "Go back to Poland" is definitely in another league from "I disagree with the treatment of Palestinians in Israel." Though I do think we should be able to have a more honest dialogue about the latter.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The generational aspect is legitimate for the average 89-year-old. Everyone has come across elderly people who say what today would be considered outrageous, but because of their age and the time in which they grew up, they're often given a pass. But Thomas is a veteran journalist who should have, as 21 pointed out, known better. From a professional standpoint, it was a serious error in judgment, and the consequences reflect that.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I actually kind of agree with this.

I believe she spoke her true feelings, but I also don't think we should be surprised that an 89-year-old who was raised by Lebanese immigrant parents would have such opinions.

It doesn't make the opinions any less abhorrent, but I would be more concerned with a younger person saying them.

I've said the same thing when people have freaked out about the racial opinions of very old people.

People -- at least to some degree -- are a reflection of their times and the environment they were raised in.

I also think it's absolutely appropriate for Hearst to cut ties with her over these comments.

Unfortunately, while I think racial feelings/opinions have gotten better and better over the years, I think we need to be aware that anti-Semetism does not seem to have waned an appears to even be on the increase (especially in Europe & the Middle East).

And, while it's been pointed out that there is a difference between legitimate criticism of the State of Israel and anti-Semetism, I'm not sure how anyone could be unsure of what Helen's comments were.

They were clearly anti-Semetic. They were not some critique of policy.

If someone had said that Barack Obama "should go back to Africa" that would be racist.

No one would dismiss that as a fair criticism of him or his policies.

Let's not try to pretend that this was.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I've agreed with you on most of this YF, but I disagree on your take regarding being more worried about young people who express abhorrent views, rather than their older counterparts. Thomas knew exactly what she was saying. She is, yes, old, but also "wise". She is not a 20-year-old know-nothing. I will not give her a pass for her age. I don't understand why other people are...people speak their mind as they get older. Some of the posters on here make her sound like a child. She is not. I'm sorry for what happened. I think she was an institution. But I do not give her a pass for her age. I think her years of experience make her words sound even worse.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Agree completely with Care Bear. Older people are far more comfortable saying exactly what they think. She said exactly what was on her mind.

Also: This would likely be a very different story if she no longer occupied that coveted seat in the White House briefing room when she made the statement. The fact that she was still the Grande Dame of the WH press corps makes her extremely relevant, regardless of her age.

Interesting to watch many of her colleagues today having to report this story. Happened to catch Wolf Blitzer, Andrea Mitchell, Brian Williams at random times....all trying, in reverent tones, to not sound too harsh.

11. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Here's an alternative take, from Fox News, no less. And a Jew:

=============================================================================

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/06/07/ellen-ratner-helen-thomas-racial-ethnic-sexual-minority-ninety-brain-filters/

Helen Thomas has apologized and resigned. What more do people want?

I'm Jewish and a supporter of Israel.

I've known Helen Thomas since 1993. I've had dinner with her many times and I consider her a close friend.

If I had a dollar for every American who has said something in private about a racial, ethnic, or sexual minority in this country I would be a multimillionaire many times over.

Let's face it we all have said things -- or thought things -- about "other" groups of people, things that we would not want to see in print or on video. Anyone who denies it is a liar.

Helen is three months short of 90 and her brain's filters might not work as well as a 40-year-old's. Give her a break.

Ellen Ratner is Washington
    bureau chief for Talk Radio News Service and a Fox News contributor.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If only CBS hadn't picked up S*** my Dad Says because someone could have pitched S*** my 89 year old Grandma Says.
    And then it could have starred Helen Thomas in the title role.
    Hilarious.
    She could have fed the grandkids hard candy that was all stuck together in the bowl and they would have listened in as she made vaguely racist and anti-Semitic comments.
    "Send all the Jews back to Germany and Poland."
    "Oh, Grandma and, really, these butterscotches are delicious. Were you really a reporter for 67 years?"

Draft saved Draft deleted