1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Helen Thomas Quits (UPDATE: She's Back!)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Point of Order, Jun 7, 2010.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Re: Helen Thomas Quits

Because Campanis' career was nowhere near finished when he was put in exile. He was still a mover and shaker in his profession.

Thomas and UPI each went into exile (or something close to it) many years ago. Yes, she was still a "working journalist" with Hearst, but her reach and influence in 2010 had dwindled to nothing.

Absolutely. But she was also 89 freaking years old.

I hope I am lucid enough to say stupid things when I'm 89.

2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

The "gotcha journalism" is in asking the question in the first place. The rabbi went to her with an agenda, and got what he was looking for. Period. Hence the breathless "Ooh."

Hey, for all we know, Helen wanted to go out with a bang. This sure accomplished that, huh? Got the wingnut fringe's panties in a bunch, didn't she?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

She had a good moment last year - the cupcakes with Obama, her book with Craig Crawford - should have retired then. Seems pretty clear her "colleagues" in the press room just tolerated her and she took full advantage of her "status." But it was time to step away. She became more of a character than a journalist in the last decade. Too bad.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

'Any comment on Israel?'

That is a trick question to you??

Seriously?

5. fishhack2009

Agreed. But no matter ho she went out, she has her place in journalism history. The Breitbarts of the world? A pimple on the ass of journalism.

6. fishhack2009

Considering the fact that she'd said controversial things about Israel in the past, yeah. You disagree, fine by me.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So journalists aren't supposed to ask anything that might be controversial? Are you sure YOU are not an espresso machine salesman (no offense, YF)? Your response here to 21 is just an astoundingly dumb statement.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

To me, this is a bit like Capone going to prison for tax evasion.

Even if it wasn't on point for her greatest offenses in the past decade, rough justice has been done.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

What "greatest offenses" are you taking about Henry?

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm really trying to understand your point. Should he have thought: 'Hm, I really shouldn't ask her for an opinion on Israel, because she's said controversial things in the past.'?

Seems to me you should be able to ask any seasoned veteran a fairly broad question such as 'Any comment on......?' It's not leading, or conclusive, or hard to understand....asked in such a way she could have said, 'No.'

Just not seeing the big trap there. The woman has been asking questions for 50 years. She should be able to answer a few as well.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It wasn't a trick question, but Thomas gave a quick and flippant answer that was immediately seized upon and used against her.

It wasn't a formal interview, guy stuck a flip camera in her face.

All this does is illustrate is that, for better or worse, protecting Israel at all costs is both American foreign and social policy that is driven by both the right and left.
    Many of the Religious Right feel it is their duty to defend Israel because it will hasten the Second Coming of Christ, while on the Godless Liberal Left, protecting Israel is practically a family matter.

12. fishhack2009

I see your point, too. It just seems to me like the guy who went to ask her the question went to her thinking he'd get just this kind of response. It's on her for not recognizing it and giving the guy what he wanted.

Draft saved Draft deleted