1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Helen Thomas back in journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsguydave, Jan 6, 2011.

1. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Doing a weekly column for the Falls Church News-Press in Virginia:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thecutline/helen-thomas-returns-to-journalism;_ylt=AgpG52R_elMXyivnlF3dbJMXIr0F;_ylu=X3oDMTN1NWw2bDlrBGFzc2V0Ay9zL3libG9nX3RoZWN1dGxpbmUvaGVsZW4tdGhvbWFzLXJldHVybnMtdG8tam91cm5hbGlzbQRjY29kZQNtcF9lY184XzEwBGNwb3MDNwRwb3MDNwRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA2hlbGVudGhvbWFzcg--

Good for her. And good for the Falls Church paper.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Why?
    Why?

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I was going to say I didn't know Al-Jazeera was hiring.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'd love to see the answer to this one.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Anyone who goes viral on the Internet is always the first to be hired.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

FALLS CHURCH, Va. - On the eve of Martin Luther King, Jr., Day, the Falls Church News-Press issued an apology for remarks made by new columnist Helen Thomas.
    The columnist's views have come under fire before. Yet newspaper leadership was supportive of Thomas.
    "She is progressive," News-Press founder Nicholas Benton said. "And following my more than eight hours of direct, one-on-one talks with her since the events of last June, I remain firmly convinced that she is neither bigoted, nor racist, nor anti-Semitic."
    There is no word on what kind of disciplinary action, if any, the paper will take against Thomas.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Paging Boom to this thread.

8. Figured she was picking up where Bill Pierce (National Alliance) left off.

9. sportsguydave

Because after the trailblazing career she had, she didn't deserve to go out like that. Hey, if old white guys like Richard Nixon and Mike Barnicle got a second chance, then there ought to be one for Helen Thomas.

As for the Falls Church paper... hell, they get some free exposure and thousands more web hits. Not a bad deal for them. I didn't even know there was a liberal Falls Church paper... and being home base of Jerry Falwell, I wouldn't have thought to look for one there.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Falls Church is up near DC. Lynchburg, the home base of the then-living Jerry Falwell, is about 3.5 hours to the southwest.

11. sportsguydave

Didn't Falwell get his start and start to build his empire at the Thomas Road Baptist Church in Falls Church?

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Falwell

According to that, Thomas Road Baptist Church is in Lynchburg.

Draft saved Draft deleted