1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Helen Thomas: anti-semite

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Come on, anti-Israeli rhetoric is a polite way of saying anti-Semite.

It's not like he referenced her "tough but fair" criticism of Israeli policies.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

"Helen Thomas must be stopped!"

It's an ironic twist for defenders of Israeli aggression to play the "victim card" by accusing Helen Thomas of being anti-semitic for daring question Israel's actions, while at the very same time they criticize Palestinians because they "provoke things and run and cry victim."

3. YankeeFan

Yeah, just as you've written, they do it to protect their country.

They are acting in their defense.

That's a lot different that what Hamas, Hezbollah, and the PLO.

There's no moral equivalency.

4. YankeeFan

What Israeli aggression re you referring too?

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Now who's not being serious?

6. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Sorry, YF. He didn't use the term, so you don't get to hide behind the, "Well, that's what he really meant" defense.

I'll give you credit at least for putting your money where your mouth is and using the term, misguided and wrong-headed as it is. But you have the shield of being some anonymous poster on the Internet. Use that term in print as a journalist, and you'd find yourself in court.

Be that as it may, I'm guessing Helen Thomas couldn't care less at this point in her career what a few right-wing nobodies say about her. Should she have made the comments this week? Probably not, partly because it gave the usual lineup of attention whores the opportunity to slither out of the ooze and pile on.

At least she owned the controversy and apologized, which is more than we can usually say for the Limbaughs and other assorted misfits on your side, who usually whine that they were just joking or taken out of context.

7. YankeeFan

You prove my point.

That's why Shales worded it the way he did.

8. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Whatever, YF. Go put on your flight suit. Mission Accomplished. :)

If you feel so strongly about it, write an op-ed piece for your local paper, calling Helen Thomas an anti-Semite. Why limit your brilliance to us?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So what? So are the worst of the Americans. We average about 17,000 murders a year.

The worst of the fucking Catholic church are child molesters.

10. YankeeFan

But he didn't say that the worst Israelis are as bad as the worst Palestinians.

He said, " Israel as a government-military complex is as treacherous as the worst of Palestinians."

So, he basically compared all of Israel -- or, at the very least its government -- to the worst of Palestinians.

I don't agree with that. Do you?

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No.

Likewise, I do not believe that Joe Palestinian, typical citizen just trying to get by and live his life, wants to see a nuclear weapon wipe Israel off the map, either.

There are many Americans who would cheer if we wiped Tehran off the map tomorrow. Doesn't make all of us evil.

12. YankeeFan

Neither do I.

In fact, given the choice, I think most would rather live in a free, prosperous, and democratic Israel than in the violent, corrupt, and dictatorial West Bank or Gaza.

When they opened the Egypt-Gaza border last week, people tried desperately to get out.

I've never said that all or even a majority of Muslims want to see the destruction of Israel or have other similar beliefs.

But certainly Hamas, Hezbollah, and the PLO are evil, murderous, terrorist organizations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.