1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Helen Thomas: anti-semite

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Then stop with the "genocidal" nonsense. If they ain't even going to fight, then I don't think the other side has to worry about being wiped out.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Their own stated goal is genocide.

They're just incapable of achieving it at this time.

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

YF:

You're been asked several times to cite other examples of Thomas's alleged anti-Semitism. Your continued refusal to do so - and some vague point about her "questions" doesn't count - makes me suspect that her so-called "anti-Semitism" is really just her refusal to swallow the AIPAC line hook, line and sinker.

It's that kind of thing that has watered down "racism" as a word - the application of a term to smear someone one disagrees with.

As to your other points:

For any reason other than longevity? Do you think she's a good writer, reporter, or columnist?

Yes. So do her peers.

So what? He has nothing to do with it. All he did was broadcast her words. Should he not have?

If not, why not?

Breitbart has a right to broadcast whatever he wants. And people have a right to question it. That's how journalism works. And frankly, since Breitbart's been exposed as a lying, dishonest partisan hack with his work on the ACORN-pimp deal, I wonder if the one-minute Thomas clip posted in his site is the whole exchange.

Like it or not, that track record will make him part of the story anytime he posts something controversial.

Because she's old, she should get a pass? They were her words. Her beliefs.

If you've listened to her "questions" over the years, it's pretty clear what she thinks about the State of Israel.

Examples, please. You asserting something over and over doesn't make it so. Let's hear some of these anti-Israel questions.

What does "anti-Semitic" mean to you?

I'll be happy to be judged on the totality of my posts. Let's judge Helen the same way.

She's shown herself to be an anti-semite before. This is not new. It's just the most obvious example.

Again, specific examples, please.

The Palestinian side meaning that the State of Israel has no right to exist? That's genocidal.

That's the position of Hamas, an extremist wing of the movement. There's a wide variety of opinions in the movement. Some of the more moderate Palestinians have paid for these views with their lives.

Do some research, and stop repeating conservative talking points. It's not that black-and-white. Almost nothing ever is.

It's not like this was even some interview with Breitbart. He wasn't even there, was he?

Again: Breitbart posted the video on his site. That means he associates himself with it. Newspapers and TV networks often publish opposing views, with a disclaimer. NO such disclaimer is visible on the front page of Breitbart's site.

Again, that's how journalism works. His poor track record is going to create legitimate questions about his methods and how he gathers his information. Deal with it.

Disingenuousness usually isn't your schtick around here, YF. No need to start now. :)

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, come off it. Israel as a government-military complex is as treacherous as the worst of Palestinians. Whatever ideals spawned Israel (guilt at the tragic wiping out of six million Jews probably being the biggest factor), it requires no one to pine for it, and clearly wants no one to.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My stated goal is to be 6-foot-4. I'm just incapable of growing 12 inches at this time.

And my chances of reaching my goal are better than the Palestinians'. So I give their goal the time and the concern it deserves . . . which is none.

6. YankeeFan

Fishhack, I'm not a media watchdog & I don't have a list of Helen's previous anti-semetic statements and "questions" at my fingertips.

But, I've listened to her enough over the years to know her views.

Maybe I'll look around later & see if someone else has compiled a list.

7. YankeeFan

I think you need a new moral compass. Yours appears to be broken.

8. fishhack2009

That's what I thought.

Come back when you've got some.

Until then, retire the "Helen Thomas is an anti-Semite" rant.

9. YankeeFan

How much more would I need than her words the other day?

Here's some more:

http://bigjournalism.com/jdunetz/2010/06/04/helen-thomas-jews-should-get-the-hell-out-of-palestine-and-go-back-to-germany-and-poland/

I'll find more.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This is sort of like the old joke about the guy who #$&@ed a goat.

Do that once and all anybody wants to do is call you a goat-#$&@er.

You say what Helen Thomas said and you've sided with the many fine folks who would like to wipe Israel off the map.

11. YankeeFan

Finally, some common sense.

12. fishhack2009

Lame. You've gone from "I'll find examples" to "Well, I don't really need to."

Actually, that IS her words the other day.

Keep digging, though.

Hey, YF, you want to kowtow to Israel and swallow everything that comes out of the Israel lobby, that's fine. It doesn't give you the right to slur others who might disagree.

Asking tough questions about our relationship with Israel is not anti-Semitism, no matter how you might try to falsely conflate the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.