1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heisman Watch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dan Rydell, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The Heisman Trophy is a lot like the AP poll: a fun idea that created more interest in college football decades ago, but increasingly revealed to be a confusing composite of informed and mostly uninformed opinions that start from different premises -- and unworthy of its modern-day out-of-proportion hype and self-importance.

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Brennan is 24 (born in 1983) and Ware won the Heisman in 1989... not sure I follow.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Slight threadjack, but I got a laugh when I ran across the Heisman voting from 2001 the other day:

1. Crouch
    2. Grossman
    3. Dorsey
    4. Harrington
    5. Carr

Quite the collection of talent there.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Personally I kinda like Rutgers' Ray Rice. Yeah I know they played a weak-ass Buffalo, but he still put up 184 yards on 25 touches with three touchdowns – the kind of numbers he put up most of last year when he finished 7th iin Heisman voting. If Rutgers can go on another big run this year, Rice will be at the heart of it and rightly should be in the mix for the heisman.

5. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Rice will be in the mix, for sure. But it's hard to imagine him beating out Brohm or White for even the Big East POY, at least in my mind.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I would have thought that Mike Hart before the season, but he is injured already.

The loss doesn't really matter, but the kid seems to be banged up at least once or twice a year.

7. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Thing about Brennan, sure he puts up huge numbers because of the system, like Chang did, but he's 10-times better than Chang.
    Look at the efficiency numbers. Chang put up lots of INTs, bad completion %, not nearly as good yards per attpt.
    Brennan kicks his butt up and down the field. To put him in the same category as Chang is an insult.

Now, saying he doesn't play any good d's remains a legit argument.
    (Hawaii played a string of Big Ten teams for a while there, so can't really claim the BCS teams are ducking them)

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

DeSean Jackson.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Brennan is 24? Shit, I thought he was like 20-21 or something.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I would second DeSean Jackson as a heck of a sleeper, especially if they beat USC. And the Trojans are vulnerable; unless he has had it coached out of him by now, Booty's tendency to telegraph where he will throw a big pass late in a close game will kill them like it did last year on the attempted 2-point conversion against OSU and against UCLA.

Dude takes the snap and stares at the receiver he's gonna throw to.

Also think Mike Hart has a very good shot, even now.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Scared??? LMAO. how many times did Boise State lose to a 3 or 4 loss BCS team?
    just off the top of my head, Arkansas beat them 2 years in a row and had at least 3 losses
    each season. Great season, great bowl game. In the SEC, BSU is nowhere near undefeated.
    Hawaii is nowhere near as good as BSU.

Draft saved Draft deleted