1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heisman Watch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dan Rydell, Sep 2, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Somebody didn't, but many did.

2. IU90

IU90 Member

Brennan's basically a system QB. Any halfway talented passer's gonna rack up crazy numbers in June Jones' offense. Brennan's predecessor, Timmy Chang, also shattered all sorts of passing records and he's now struggling in Canada after failing to make an NFL roster.

Chang/Brennan is reminiscent of the mass overhyping of Andre Ware/David Klinger after they rang up those crazy numbers in that Houston run n shoot offense only to discover neither could play when they got to the pros.

3. silentbob

silentbob Member

A former NFL defensive coordinator told me last week that Brennan is a first-round draft pick next year, no question. ... If that's the case, I'd hardly classify him as a system quarterback.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i didn't vote for brennan last year, but i did consider him and look into his numbers, and i remember a red flag in there, but not sure i remember what it was...

i tried to watch them a bit, too. i watched a lot of those late-night games because i was a voter last season. hell, if anything, i had a west-coast bias, because so often those were the only games i got to see

5. IU90

IU90 Member

Ware and Klingler were both HIGH 1st Round Picks.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Klinger and Ande Ware were first-round picks.

EDIT: IU90 beat me to it.

7. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Ware and Klingler did it in what was a major conference, not a weak WAC. At the time Ware and Klingler were putting up huge numbers, they were doing it against Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas and Texas Tech. In fact, Houston beat Texas 60-40 in 1987, 66-15 in 1988 in Austin and 47-9 in 1989.
    By the way, if you're looking for a darkhorse Heisman candidate, check out what Houston RB Anthony Alridge did against Oregon on Saturday: 205 rushing and 88 receiving. This is the same guy that led the nation last year at 10.1 yards per carry. And this comes in an offense that's focused on throwing.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Give and take with Brennan;

His numbers border on stupid.....for example tonight;

34-40...416 yards.......6 Touchdowns (Give)

IN THE FIRST FUCKING HALF (Much give)

Up 42-0 (Much give)

Against Northern Colorado. (Much much take)

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Oh....and don't forget the 95-21 beat-down of........

anybody?

10. Damn, those read like my Playstation2 stats ..

11. SMU, I believe.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Another problem with Brennan is that their games are on so late.

Most Heisman voters have been asleep for hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted