1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HEISMAN: Troy's Myth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jimmy Olson, Nov 16, 2006.

1. oldfart

oldfart Member

Just wondering why, in all the annual hype about Heisman, seldom is heard the name of a (gasp!) defensive player. I've been voting a long time and still haven't found the line in the rulebook that says the winner has to be an offensive player. It's supposed to be the OUTSTANDING college football player (that's singular, not reference to team), not the most valuable or the best offensive performer or even the best team player. The guy can be an absolute ass and still be the most outstanding player. I really think it's time to rename the award, or give one for offense and one for defense. I know this a little off the subject, but obviously this irritates me every year

2. oldfart

oldfart Member

My apologies to all the excellent special teams players. Some of them have merited consideration as well

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So ....

316 yards and 4 TD passes.

Heisman? Nahhhh ::)

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

it's a myth, xan, a myth

5. Songbird

But, c'mon, Quinn passed for circa 250 yards against vaunted Army today. Army!

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, and didn't notre dame clinch the commander-in-chief trophy with that? or do they still have to play the coast guard academy?

7. Songbird

Marine Corps first.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

um, how you say? oh, yeah.

GAME. SET. MATCH.

TROY SMITH, COME ON DOWN!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

9. bsizzle_77

bsizzle_77 New Member

Ok first off I am a Notre Dame fanatic, Ive been raised to worship the Irish. My family has gone as far to put a "Play Like a Champion Today" sign on are door we must slap before we enter my basement. Brady Quinn is an amazing player who I feel will have a great professional career but the Heisman should go to Troy Smith. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him.

That was the hardest thing I have ever said.....

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Troy Smith
    21-for-49, 316 yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT in a 42-39 win

Brady Quinn
    24-for-48, 234 yards, 3 TDs, 3 INT in a 47-21 loss

Which one of these guys deserves the Heisman after each played one of the best defenses in the country at home....hmm....I can't tell Jimmy Olson....please tell me.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

His first 300-plus performance of the season. In six games, he didn't even pass for 200.

Sorry, but you don't win the Heisman for one game.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sure you do. It's done all the time.

Smith won the Heisman today. Simple as that.

Draft saved Draft deleted