1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heisman Trophy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Nov 4, 2006.

?

Who should be the winner?

1. Troy Smith

18 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Brady Quinn

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Steve Slaton

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. Michael Hart

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Other

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One quarterback (Smith) is an odds-on favorite for the Heisman, and another quarterback (Quinn) is a slightly less strong favorite to be the first pick in the NFL draft. Without commenting on the validity of the Heisman, which I regard as the most fraudulent major award in sports for other reasons (by its own standards, Smith's a worthy winner), I will say this. Given my druthers between the two, I know which of these two honors I'd rather have.
    One doorstop does not equal many millions of dollars.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ya'll don't think the Notre Dame bias/lovefest would Quinn over the top? Smith's bad game vs. Illinois sounds like the kind of loophole ND apologists would drive right through.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Mike Terwilliger of East Stroudsburg won the Harlon Hill last season (the Division II Heisman) as a junior. But his team's not nearly as good this year, has a couple of losses.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Hey, here's an idea. How about someone like Daymeion Hughes of Cal (8 interceptions) or Lamarr Woodley of Michigan (15 tackles for loss, 11 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 3 recovered for the best run defense in the land)

Last time I checked there was more to football than offense. Since there is no outstanding offensive candidate this year, what's wrong with giving some defensive players some attention. They sure deserve it.

5. If Smith screws the pooch against Michigan, the race is wide open again.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Smith should win. But Quinn will win because he's the white pretty boy quarterback from Notre Dame.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Not saying you don't have a point, but giving your vote to a defensive player is like throwing your vote away. And too many people know it.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And I get what you mean shotty, but isn't it about time for a change in attitude here?

Or are so many of the voters so set on this being an offensive award that it makes any great defensive player redundent when it comes to the Heisman?

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's part of it. But there's something else.

As much as we like to think that any player on the field can change a game, no defensive player can do it as consistently as a top quarterback or a top running back.

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Plus, at every level of "amateur" football, the superior athlete on the field is usually the running back or QB ... which could be a partial reason why WRs almost never win it.

11. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

How bout another Colt?

Hawaii's Colt Brennan has 39 TDs and, I think, six INTs. He threw for more than 400 yards last night on just 19 competions.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

If I-A football was fair, Ian Johnson and Colt Brennan would be on everyone's top five.

But, this game is not.

My top five:
    Troy Smith
    Mike Hart
    Steve Slaton
    Brian Brohm
    John David Booty

Draft saved Draft deleted