1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heisman Trophy 2011 — Robert Griffin III your winner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 5, 2011.

?

Who will win the 2011 Heisman Trophy?

1. Andrew Luck

23.9%
  2. Robert Griffin III

49.3%
  3. Trent Richardson

10.4%
  4. Tyrann Mathieu

9.0%
  5. Montee Ball

7.5%
  1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Re: Heisman Trophy finalists announced: Who ya got?

This is the epitome of the honorary award for lifetime achievement in "scholar-academic" pursuits. Well at least when you have a candidate who fits the bill. Luck fits it to a T. (Newton and Ingram did not have to overcome a preseason anointed winner who stayed the course.)

He was the front runner coming in and he's done very well. Stanford is No. 4. Not like they folded and went 6-4.

RG3 had a great year. But Oklahoma and Texas are not the powers they used to be.

Richardson is a beast but he did not dominate.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mathieu was the best player I saw in the games I watched this season, Griffin second. I admit I don't watch as many games as a lot of other people.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No player meant more to his team this year than Robert Griffin. He should win and Mathieu should be second.

That said, I'm stunned Mathieu made the cut after being suspended for smoking (synthetic) pot.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There ought to be some late money coming in on Honey Badger. His punt returns against Arkansas and Georgia -- both big-stage games in the national spotlight -- turned the tide in LSU's favor both times. Those touchdowns almost single-handedly turned a potentially disastrous situation for LSU into blowout wins. He played well on defense in both games, too.
    Not sure if it's enough to overcome the defensive bias and the off-the-field stuff, and jump four other very deserving players, but it ought to count for something.

Meanwhile, this was probably his best play of the season. A strip-sack against Kentucky where he blitzes, knocks the ball out while on a dead sprint, does a 180-degree turn, outruns everyone else to the ball and returns it for a touchdown.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think Luck will win, and I wouldn't be disappointed with him or Griffin winning. Both meant a ton to their teams, and were the best quarterbacks in a pass-happy year in college football.

I appreciate the impact Mathieu has for LSU, but between his suspension and the fact there's a bunch of other contributors to the Tigers' success, I'd say he's third at best.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

All I know is that the Idaho sportscasters are outraged because Kellen Moore wasn't invited to New York.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

With that final five, I think Honey Badger is screwed so the South is going to split between him and Richardson. It's looking like it's Griffin's to lose.

8. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

What RG3 did with the pathetic defense he had and he plays for BAYLOR, the Vandy/Duke of the Big 12.

I don't think Luck played as well as he did last year. The only two games I saw him play, USC and Oregon he didn't look spectacular. He looked good in OT of the USC game, but that's about it. I think the only reason he's in the top 5 is because he was basically handed the trophy at the start of the season.

Griffin had some spectacular games and having more TD's than incomplete passes through four games was just impressive. And, the throw he made to beat Oklahoma was the kind of signature play you see in Heisman candidates.

I really thought Case Keenum deserved at least an invite but after Houston laid an egg against Southern Miss, I'm not surprised.

Mathieu is an incredible player but I think the K2 issues are going to hurt his chances.

I think it's a two horse race between RG3 and Honey Badger

9. derwood

derwood Active Member

Lolz.

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Or Wisconsin scoring 70 points on Austin Peay.

I'm going with RGIII. He is the most exciting player in college football and his stats are amazing. Without him Baylor is just a piece of shit on the sidewalk. Without Richardson Alabama is probably still Top 10.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Mainly because I'm on the West Coast, I'm leaning more toward Luck, but honestly, I think either RG3 or Luck will satisfy me. Griffin really did make Baylor special, but Luck has really meant more to Stanford. He's willing to play where he needs and does what he can to help Stanford succeed. His biggest downfall is himself. He was so hyped heading into the season and the "Suck for Luck" campaigns left the talking heads expecting the greatest QB ever. He had one bad game against Oregon, but that loss was as much the defense letting Luck down than anything Luck did (of course the turnovers served to hurt the defense as much as anything Oregon did).

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Luck was outstanding and steady all season.
    Griffin made a steady climb and went above and beyond in the final games. He meant more to his team's success than anyone else. He passed up Luck.
    Barkley should be in New York. He played as well as anybody except Griffin by the end of the season.

Draft saved Draft deleted