1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heisman Trophy 2011 — Robert Griffin III your winner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 5, 2011.

?

Who will win the 2011 Heisman Trophy?

1. Andrew Luck

23.9%
  2. Robert Griffin III

49.3%
  3. Trent Richardson

10.4%
  4. Tyrann Mathieu

9.0%
  5. Montee Ball

7.5%
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Heisman Trophy finalists announced: Who ya got?

I'm a little surprised Case Keenum isn't there, but I don't have any serious gripes about the finalists.

I'd love to see Griffin or Ball win it, but they won't.

I think Luck pulls it out.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If Heisman pundit picks the winner (and maybe even the top 3 in order) for like the fifth year in a row, it'll be RG3.

I think Ball and Honey Badger's late push kills Richardson's chances. It'll go RG3, Luck and the rest in any order.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Until this weekend I wouldn't think Griffin had a shot. Texas-based voters will obviously favor him, but the more I look around, I see a lot more national voters who have come out to say they've switched their vote from Richardson/Luck to Griffin, or never decided to begin with and are voting for him.
    And some of those poll surveys that claim they get it right xx percent of the time all seem to have Griffin favored now.

Still, I'll be a bit shocked if his name is called Saturday. I'll be glad to see him win it, but shocked.

4. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Richardson has simply not put up Heisman-worthy numbers as a running back. Sorry, but Mark Ingram also didn't deserve it.

Trent Richardson, 2011 = 132 yards per-game, 20 touchdowns.
    Mark Ingram, 2009 = 127 yards per-game, 17 touchdowns (in 13 games).

Compare those to other recent winners who were also running backs:

*Reggie Bush, 2005 = 150 yards per-game, 2,890 all-purpose yards, 8.8 yards per-carry.
    *Ron Dayne, 1999 = 166 yards per-game, 19 touchdowns.
    *Ricky Williams, 1998 = 193 yards per-game, 27 touchdowns. Dude led the country in rushing. Just like Dayne did the next year, he broke the record for career rushing yards.
    *Eddie George, 1995 = 152 yards per-game, 23 touchdowns, while rarely playing more than three quarters.
    *Rashaan Salaam, 1994 = 186 yards per-game, 24 touchdowns.

In the case of Richardson, the program makes the player. He's a very good player on a great team.

In the case of Luck and Griffin, it's the other way around. They have each elevated their respected teams to previously unheard of levels. That makes each of them way more deserving than a very good player at a more established program.

5. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

So, Rubber, without Richardson, does Alabama have the #23 ranked offense and a 11-1 record?

Personally, I don't think so.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I actually think it cuts the other way for Wilson/Ball. Wilson could only put up the best passer efficiency rating in NCAA history because Ball opened up such easy throws off playaction (which is why Wisconsin's QB last year ALSO led the league in passer efficiency.)

7. JackReacher

Richardson DOES have Heisman-worthy numbers, but Rubber has a point about Luck and Richardson elevating their teams from nowhere to big-time teams. Didn't Stanford go 0-12 or something just before Luck appeared? And Baylor blew donkey balls until RG3, right? Something to be said for that, and that attracts a lot of voters.

8. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Either way, he was not the only option. In many cases, it was Trent or punt.

9. JackReacher

RG3 finished the year with signature wins against Oklahoma and Texas. Oklahoma and Texas. OKLAHOMA AND TEXAS!!! Baylor never beats Oklahoma and Texas.

Plus, dude led the nation (and did he break the NCAA record?) in passer rating or efficiency or one of those stats. 36 TDs, 6 INTs. Just silly numbers. And I think he had something like 600+ rushing yards on top of it.

The more I think about it, the more clear-cut it is. Way more impressive than what Richardson and Luck did this year. Honey Badger was impressive in a different way, a way that typically doesn't resonate with voters.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Peyton Manning disagrees.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm think there's some people who had damn impressive seasons, but RGIII is the one I want to win the Heisman. Making Baylor relevant is DAMN impressive.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

1. Tebow
    2. Favre
    3. Jeter

Draft saved Draft deleted