1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heisman time, well sort of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think it's Tebow's to lose right now. He won it in that rally to beat the Pigs.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The referee from that game should accept the trophy on his behalf.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

McCoy hasn't had a "signature game" yet, and I don't think he'll have one since the rest of the Horns schedule is weak.
    I'd sit on the ballot, wait until after the SEC championship game, see how Masoli does the rest of the way, maybe Ingram will go off this weekend against LSU.

I think the compression of the news cycle makes it possible for someone to come in late, but the fact that there isn't a strong candidate out of the Big 10, and Pike has been injured helps Clausen as much as anything in that region.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's amazing that a QB at Notre Dame could be having the season Clausen is having and not be the clear-cut favorite.

Tebow gets the benefit of every doubt and will win. Even if Ingram runs all over UF in the SEC Championship game, people will want to reward Tebow as arguably the best college football player ever and I think people want to see him win it twice.

As much as I don't like Tebow, I kind of understand that.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Nesbitt's rushing yardage is going to be skewed because he'll get sacked now and then. I've seen GT several times and believe me, Nesbitt makes that shit go. He's really, really good. Someone with grander numbers and a couple thousand passing yards will be All-ACC but I'd take him over every one of them, hands down, if I had my pick.

Go back and watch the 39-yard TD run that stuck the dagger in Virginia Tech. His tightrope down the sidelines was a thing of beauty.

I don't vote anymore so my campaign does him no good. Not sure he's the Heisman guy but I will testify to his greatness.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Clausen also lost his best receiver. Imagine his stats if opposing teams had to account for both Tate and Michael Floyd.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't think voters are in any sort of a rush to give Tebow a second Heisman. If they were, he would have won a year ago. A good portion of the Heisman argument will come down to the Alabama-LSU and Alabama-Florida (if it happens, of course) games, with Tebow and Ingram making their cases.

Had Spiller been on a better team, he might have had a chance. And if Keenum continues to win -- he has beaten Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Mississippi State from the BCS -- he has to be in the discussion. Even in Houston's loss, the offense still put up 41 points.

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

A couple weeks ago I would have put Jordan Shipley against anyone. Probably not now, though if he has a great finish he may be in the discussion.

Anyone who votes for Tebow because of this season they need to be stripped of their voting privileges, he hasn't been anywhere near the best player.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If Keenum wins that would give UH what are probably the two most unlikely Heisman winners in the history of the award.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

But, of course, Dwyer isn't running the offense and doesn't also have nearly 1200 passing yards in addition to the running numbers. So, no, he does not have better overall numbers. Dwyer's damn good, but Nesbitt is clearly the most valuable player in that offense.

I'm curious how Nesbitt's numbers compare to Eric Crouch's in 01, the last time an option style QB won it.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Using my fanboi font, I nominate Armanti Edwards as a protest vote... :D

RUSHING GP-GS Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
    Armanti Edwards 7-7 79 566 116 450 5.7 12 40 64.3

PASSING GP-GS Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G
    Armanti Edwards 7-7 167.9 155-215-1 72.1 2083 10 74 297.6

12. Clausen has to beat Pitt to have a chance. Probably Stanford, too.

I think losing to a sorry ass Michigan team definitely hurts him. Otherwise they have a shot at going 11-1 with only a close loss to USC. Having Golden Tate in his arsenal shouldn't hurt, though. Didn't Tebow win with Percy Harvin there?

Draft saved Draft deleted