1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heisman thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

1. Luck
    2. Richardson
    3. Ball

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Russell Wilson

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

There is only one answer:

Derek Jeter.

4. Mizzougrad96

Based on the first six games of the season, I would have agreed.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm confident it will be luck after last night's showing. i'm just sure he's going to receive the most no. 1 votes, 'cause the other guys who have emerged will split the votes of thosse who want to go -anti-luck.

luck was better vs. notre dame than in any of the three games i've seen of stanford's -- and even last night i was far from 'wowed.' i just don't see why scouts are creaming over him. hey, as i've said, he may well have a tremendous NFL career. but i wouldn't be any more 'sure' of him than several qb prospects of the last 20 years. i KNEW wlway was going to be tremendous. or would've been shocked if he wasn't.

i simply don't see where luck i in elway's class asa a passer. i'm left shrugging.

6. Mizzougrad96

I see more Steve Young than Elway... Not that that would be a bad thing...

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

1. Griffin
    2. Richardson
    3. Luck

Being the most-hyped QB ever really helped Peyton Manning's Heisman hopes.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Of all the stupid things in college football, the Heisman is way out front the stupidest. A vote by an electorate that cannot possibly have enough information to even make a choice based on the false premise that "skill" position players are always the best in the sport.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Really? I don't see much Steve Young in Andrew Luck. He doesn't throw on the run nearly as often (or as well, though no one has in the past 25 years, in my opinion), and his arm is much stronger. I've watched both Luck and Matt Barkley a lot the past two seasons, and I like Barkley almost as much as Luck. But Luck can make every throw. And, more importantly, he does[/i[ make every throw. I think you have a franchise quarterback with either player, but Barkley is less mobile and more set into the pocket. He's also shorter and more prone to an occasional bad decision. And he's passing to two elite receivers.

I don't think Luck should win the Heisman Trophy. Neither Elway nor Peyton Manning won the Heisman, though. The only players to win the Heisman and be drafted first overall the same year in the past 20 years are Carson Palmer and Cam Newton. Winning the Heisman -- being the most outstanding college football player in the country -- clearly doesn't have much to do with being the best NFL prospect in the country.

Luck is smart, makes quick reads and has every talent you want in a quarterback. And if you gave him the Heisman instead of Robert Griffin III or Trent Richardson, I think you'd be basing it off his talent, not his outstanding production as a college football player.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

ESPN "Heismanology" analyst Joe Tessatore — who takes a straw poll of Heisman voters — projecting Richardson by a small margin over Luck, but we'll see.

Worth noting that Richardson and Luck are both done until after the voting ends, whereas Griffin still has one more game. If he really lights up Texas — and that game is a national ABC broadcast that starts a half-hour before the SEC championship game — he's got a chance.

11. Mizzougrad96

I don't know that people have really compared Luck to Elway, as he is considered the best since Elway...

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think Griffin has been far and away the most fun to watch. His numbers are also incredible. I think he'd get my vote right now, though I still think Luck is the "establishment choice" if you will, and probably the one who wins it. Richardson!? I know the guy is crazy good and strong, but I figured after he was a non-factor in the LSU game (join the club, I know) he'd be out.

Draft saved Draft deleted