1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heisman: Does Crabtree have a chance? And other awards-related thoughts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 10, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure Maualuga is even the best LB on USC. He is a very nice player and is going to be a first round draft pick, but so will Brian Cushing, who may be better and has already proven he can play outside or inside.

Clay Matthews Jr. is also technically a DE on USC's defense, but he has a linebacker's body. He will be a first-day draft pick, more because he is a football player than a prototype. He is a bit slow to be a speed rusher in the pros. But based on the little bit of USC I have watched this year, he was making more of an impact on the field than Maualuga.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The only knock on Maualuga is he is a bit wreckless at times. Cushing and Matthews are outstanding, too, but you can't block everybody. The blockers have to focus on Maualuga. Cushing and Matthews have benefited from that. Also, Cushing was awesome in the game Maualuga missed because of injury.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm going with Bradford for now.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bradford is better than Harrell and McCoy?

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think so but I'll hold on a final opinion until next Sunday.

6. Cody as defensive player of the year?

Hasn't he missed two or three games with injury?

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Harrell gets it.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

As a slight jack here-

Why is being a "system player" such a bad thing if you're able to put up such good numbers? I mean, isn't that the point of an offense, to put up good numbers? If it's such an advantage for a team to be running it, why doesn't everyone try to emulate it to get better results rather than whine about how "it's just a system." Isn't that how all offenses originated?

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily low-rating Harrell, but Saturday night vs. Okie State, he had enough time in the pocket buy a pizza and get a massage before he had to pass. Seriously, I counted on one play and got to 7-Mississippi before he leisurely threw a pass to one of several open receivers.

As to the question at hand, no. Crabtree and Harrell will split the vote and the Heisman will go to Tim Tebow after Florida rips Bama a new one in the SEC championship game.

10. My guess is McCoy wins it.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The thing with Bama and Florida ... is that Bama's going to win the game.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Oh sure, it helps your TEAM win and in a lot of ways that's the point. But then when you talk about an individual basis, well, what have Timmy Chang, Kliff Kingsbury, Colt Brennan, and the like done since?

Well during the pre-season some deluded Deadskins fans were all over the Brennan bandwagon. You can even buy dude's jersey at the mall.

Draft saved Draft deleted