1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heisman: Does Crabtree have a chance? And other awards-related thoughts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't care if both teams lose out, right now it's between Saban and Leach.

The Heisman will go to a Big 12 QB. Hell, the top 3-4 vote-getters might be Big 12 QBs.

2. I had absolutely no belief UGA would be in the title hunt (SEC or otherwise) so I can really be disappointed. They are the Texas of the SEC.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Crabtree's got that great catch to win the Texas game but no other signature plays.

Believe that Harrell's ahead of McCoy because he beat Texas. We'll see if he can beat Bradford. I love his calmness in the pocket, he's shuffling his feet moving then zings it, rather than having happy feet.

Orapko is a monster but he was hurt?

Maleuaga is pretty good but I've seen him miss some plays too, just whiff on the hole or ballcarrier.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think Harrell should win. I think the vote for Texas Tech will be split, and it will cost him. I don't think Crabtree, who is amazing, should win it when the guy who's getting him the ball is also getting it to all his other receivers and running the offense.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

A lot still depends on how the OU-Texas Tech game turns out next Saturday night.

6. So what is Harrell's signature play? The same one? Which wouldn't have been so special with Crabtree's effort after the catch.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Based on how I think voters will vote (not my personal view), there is a bias towards the QB because he's the fulcrum, not a WR. Harrell does not really need a signature play, he's got huge numbers and the Red Raiders are No. 2, far exceeding expectations to this point. That's why I think he's ahead of Crabtree.

8. I agree with you.
    What, one player who was not a QB has won the Heisman since 2000 ... Reggie "Take the Money and Run" Bush.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

WR's don't win the Heisman unless they return kicks and punts and have a ton of all-purpose yards like Tim Brown and Desmond Howard.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Harrell has huge numbers in a system that manufactures them. Kliff Kingsburgy was doing the same thing once upon a not too long time ago. Crabtree has put together some great catches, and while the system relies on a QB who can dish the ball out, Crabtree has played in it like few others. I'm sure Texas Tech would be a top 25 team without him and still roll up enough offense to make Mike Martz look like he came from Navy, and Harrell would still throw for 800 yards a game in that video game offense, but Crabtree as a go-to guy who makes tough catches and helps wins games has proven to me to be the best player on the team.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's going to be interesting who is the third pick for All-America linebacker.

Laurinaitis and Maualuga would be two, but who's the third?

Brandon Spikes? Rolando McClain? Someone else?

12. I don't Laurinitis has done shit this year.

They hardly mentioned him in the OSU game. Where was he against USC?

Draft saved Draft deleted