1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heisman: Does Crabtree have a chance? And other awards-related thoughts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 10, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

I know you meant TOMMY Bowden, but this just made my day.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

oops.

and glad i could bring extra joy to your day ;D

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't think a Texas Tech player wins the Heisman. Harrell and Crabtree will split the vote, a la USC.

A Tebow repeat wasn't even in the conversation until a couple of weeks ago. Now it seems possible.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

No. Tebow is too far behind. Bradford and McCoy also have much better resumes than Tebow.

6. doctorx

doctorx Member

Georgia isn't THE most disappointing team, but it's in the group photo.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

West Virginia as most disappointing team? No way, Auburn is the most disappointing team. Hands Down. They won a game 3-2 for crissakes. And under no circumstance should they ever be so shitty as to lose to Vanderbilt and Arkansas and need a furious fourth quarter to pull away from Tennessee-Billy Martin.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Heisman: Colt McCoy or Sam Bradford win. Graham Harrell is more deserving.
    Coach of the Year: David Cutcliffe
    QB of the Year: Graham Harrell
    Running Back of the Year: Knowshon Moreno
    Defensive Player of the Year: Brian Orakpo. James Laurinaitis and Macho Harris runners up.
    Biggest disappointment (individual): Pat White
    Biggest disappointment (team): Tennessee
    Biggest coaching disappointment: Ty Willingham

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Split the vote? You mean like when the Trojans won three in four years from 2002-05?

I think if Texas Tech runs the table, Harrell wins the Heisman. That's who I'm leaning toward right now ...

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I don't see why. If nothing else, Georgia is consistent... they do this shit every year, just like Climpson...

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You're right, I was mistaken. I had thought for some reason that Leinart and Bush split the vote in '05 and Vince Young won.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Georgia's a strange case.

They were pre-season No. 1 in the AP, but not picked to even win the SEC by the media (Florida was). They've lost to two Top 5 teams (badly in both cases, but still).

I guess they're a disappointment in that they're not the national-title contender everyone thought they would be, but anyone who seriously studied this team in the preseason knew it was flawed. They had major issues on both lines, and that was before they lost their starting left tackle and best defensive linemen before they even played a game.

Trouble is, people don't look at the lines when they're projecting a team's success in a given year. People look at returning skill players, and Georgia had those in spades.

All that said, I don't think Georgia has face-planted nearly on the level of Auburn, Clemson, Tennessee or Michigan. They're on the level of Ohio State — a notch below last year and what they had hoped for this year, but not exactly a flop.

Draft saved Draft deleted