1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heisler vs. Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Birdscribe, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Mark Heisler's going-away (with the severance check in hand) valedictory from the LA Times.

Some interesting parts here, but the part that should amuse and bemuse is his bemoaning of early deadlines. Anyone who has covered minor-league baseball -- or ANY baseball, for that matter -- will chuckle and nod appropriately.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I thought for sure this was going to be about John Heisler and the Chicago Tribune.
  3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Heisler, 9 and 8.
  4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I know this has become a big joke over the years. I was entrapped in the joke, trying to make a newspaper deadline for high school football on a Friday night. Pro beat writers had it easy. Try filing a story from a high school with no phones, no Internet, no electricity in the press box, if there was a press box at all.
    Anyway, another rant for another day.
    Now that I am doing more work for online sites, deadlines have moved back. No press runs, no having to worry about making people work overtime. Newspaper deadline is 10:30 p.m. Online deadline is 1 a.m. Big difference.
Draft saved Draft deleted