1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heisler vs. Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Birdscribe, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Mark Heisler's going-away (with the severance check in hand) valedictory from the LA Times.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/confessions_of_a_dead_tribune_20110819/?ln

Some interesting parts here, but the part that should amuse and bemuse is his bemoaning of early deadlines. Anyone who has covered minor-league baseball -- or ANY baseball, for that matter -- will chuckle and nod appropriately.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I thought for sure this was going to be about John Heisler and the Chicago Tribune.

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Heisler, 9 and 8.

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I know this has become a big joke over the years. I was entrapped in the joke, trying to make a newspaper deadline for high school football on a Friday night. Pro beat writers had it easy. Try filing a story from a high school with no phones, no Internet, no electricity in the press box, if there was a press box at all.
    Anyway, another rant for another day.
    Now that I am doing more work for online sites, deadlines have moved back. No press runs, no having to worry about making people work overtime. Newspaper deadline is 10:30 p.m. Online deadline is 1 a.m. Big difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted