1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heirs to the throne?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, May 19, 2007.

?

Who are today's equivalents to DeNiro & Pacino in the movies?

1. Mark Wahlberg

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Matt Damon

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. Leo DiCaprio

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Johnny Depp

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  5. Sean Penn

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  6. Ed Norton

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  7. George Clooney

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Denzel Washington

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  9. Tom Cruise

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  11. None of the above

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Obviously, this is a difficult question for two reasons: 1) Bobby & Al have been in the business since, what, the early 70s, while none of these guys didn't really become top flight ACTORS (not just movie stars) until the mid-90s; and 2) you're talking about the Ruth and Cobb of the acting world. They might be so high up and left such an impact that it will be a long time until someone can truly approach them. It also seems like the majority of these guys come off too much like "pretty boys," a phrase that would NEVER describe the Big Two.

That being said, I throw my votes to Leo and Mark Wahlberg. Leo b/c he's in good with Scorcese and he's definitely evolved from his Titanic/teeny-bopper days. Wahlberg has the most explosiveness out of these seven and would definitely come across to me as the most intimidating.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Who's Leo DiCarprio?

3. How do you forget Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise?

I chose Depp and Dicaprio. I liked Dicaprio long before he made the Titanic and still do despite that movie. Depp makes weird movies at times but he can play anybody he wants. Same with Pitt. It's easy to call him a pretty boy but he's done some good stuff.

And as annoying as he is now, Cruise is in a league all his own. His resume is unbelievable. Maybe Tom Hanks is up there as well, but they're two different actors.

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Trust me, I didn't forget Cruise, Pitt or Hanks. I left off Cruise mostly b/c of his idiocy, so I'm biased there. I can't really call to mind a commanding, "holy shit, that was good" performance like Pacino in Scarface or DeNiro in Godfather II. Pitt, I can't see him in a truly dramatic role. I don't think his acting ability is all that great to begin with and a lot of his success has come from his looks. Has either of them played a truly wretched or deranged character like Tony Montana or Travis Bickle? Can't really remember.

Hanks is a superb actor, without question. My bugaboo with him is his range. I can't imagine, for the life of me, see him in a truly evil, despicable role. But then again, how easily can we see Pacino pulling off a successful comedy?

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Cruise in Born on the Fourth of July was a damned commanding performance.

My issue with Leo, whom I love as an actor, is that I can't see him doing a comedy. He takes himself way too seriously.

Guess Depp would be my choice as the actor of this generation.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I really have to toss my vote toward Cruise.
    He was evil in Collateral, a different role for him. Then you have movies I consider classics, like Top Gun and Riskey Business.
    And, he's done some humor, spoofing himself in Austin Powers and showed Rod Tidwell the quawn in Jerry Maguire.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Of that group, I'd say Damon and Ed Norton, but I dont see any of them having that range.

8. I really, really like Norton but he's just not in enough movies. I wish he'd take more roles.

And where the hell is Denzel? This thread is racist! Racist, man! ;D

Seriously, where is Denzel? And Jamie Foxx, though in my opinion Foxx is a poor man's Denzel ...

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Wow, I seriously don't know how I left Denzel off this list. The man is a damn fine actor with a lot of range. Let's give Mr. Foxx a little more time, though.

PS - I reset the vote after adding Denzel and Psycho Tom.

10. My feeling about Denzel is there are just not enough good movies out there for him. I'm sure much of it has to do with fewer roles for black men.

He's been in some stupid thrillers but almost out of necessity. Training Day was just OK but damn was he good in that movie.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I went with Damon among the choices there, and will throw another vote toward Brad Pitt.
    I used to think Pitt was a pretty boy, too, but the range of characters he's played over the years is just amazing. I don't think he' ever really played the same type of character twice. And as for his deranged roles, check out "Kalifornia," a film from the early 90s. He plays a fucked-up, hillbilly serial killer on a cross country trip with David Duchovny, Juliette Lewis and another actress I can't recall. Not only was he quite creepy, he gave us one of the great lines of all time...
    "Put your titty up, Adell!"

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I went with Norton and "other" for Don Cheadle.

Draft saved Draft deleted