1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heineken and Sam Adams boycott St. Patrick's Day parades

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Mar 15, 2014.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Two of the country's biggest beer companies are withdrawing their sponsorships of upcoming St. Patrick's Day parades because gay and lesbian groups aren't allowed to march openly.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/14/pf/heineken-sam-adams-parades/

Good for them.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

St. Patrick's day is great for m'fuckers who aren't Irish.
    The rest of us take immense pride in being Irish 365 days a year.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"You can tell an Irishman from a mile away, it's when he gets closer you can't tell hm fuck all!" - Huggy's old man - a proud Scotsman.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That lede is weird. Sam Adams only fits the "biggest" tag in a very broad definition, and Heineken may be made in the U.S. now but to my knowledge still is owned by a Dutch company.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

If Guinness boycotts then you have a story.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Who gives a shit? People who aren't Irish-Catholic have hijacked St. Patrick's Day into a contrived excuse for drinking and couldn't tell you a shred of the history behind it, other than you're supposed to wear stupid green outfits (and puke on them later in the evening).

Same as people who don't have Mexican roots or any knowledge of Mexican history have hijacked Cinco de Mayo.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'll be hanged by my Buster Browns before I ever drink green beer.
    What a god awful cultural tradition.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for everyone to hijack the most important Jewish holiday, Yom Kippur. Of course, that means you can't eat or drink anything, but we still have fun atoning for sins!

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Seems to me that the party should be pre-Yom Kippur.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What about the Airing of Grievances?

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Sam Adams is the largest American owner beer maker, followed closely by Yuengling.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Not trying to be argumentative but Cinco de Mayo is an American holiday, not a Mexican one. I have yet to meet a Mexican who gives a crap about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted