1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hector "Macho" Camacho shot in Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I noticed that he previously was shot with three bullets in 2011. Sounds like he was on some nasty character's hit list for awhile.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yet you don't have a friend who can fix cars.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Sigh.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

He led a very rough life outside of the ring. He didn't have to. I guess he liked living life on the edge.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

AP reporting plug will be pulled as soon as three of his sons arrive on Saturday.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This whole story makes me very sad. I've never been huge into boxing, but I loved Camacho. I love larger-than-life characters.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP to a great champion.
    http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/8667942/hector-macho-camacho-removed-life-support-dies-50

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Drug, alcohol and other problems trailed Camacho himself after the prime of his boxing career. He was sentenced in 2007 to seven years in prison for the burglary of a computer store in Mississippi. While arresting him on the burglary charge in January 2005, police also found the drug ecstasy.

A judge eventually suspended all but one year of the sentence and gave Camacho probation. He wound up serving two weeks in jail, though, after violating that probation.

Camacho's former wife, Amy, obtained a restraining order against him in 1998, alleging he threatened her and one of their children. The couple, who had two children at the time, later divorced.

What a prince.

He actually, literally should be in prison right now. It is his ultimate misfortune, I guess, that the American justice system is so messed up.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And you might also mention his child abuse arrest last year in Florida based on accusations that he "picked up his teenage son by the neck, slammed him to the ground, and stomped on him at Camacho's ex-wife's home in March of 2011." And, of course, also previously being shot three times under similar odd circumstances in February 2011.

The guy obviously was no sweetheart away from the ring.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

No doubt, he had some demons he couldn't control.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Pretty much the only the way the wake could have gone -- a scratching clawing fight between two women claiming to be his girlfriend, plus two sisters. The alleged new girlfriend says the old girlfriend and the sisters slapped over her plate of food, and it was on.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/8690350/women-hector-macho-camacho-life-fight-wake-san-juan-reports-say

Draft saved Draft deleted