1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heavy hundred of sports talk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Nov 7, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I didn't hate Dino Costa the few times I listened to him. He talked a lot of gambling, which I liked.

Cooley is good on the radio. He'd be better if Czaban and Al Galdi stopped talking over him all the time.

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Dennis & Callahan are still in the top 30? They've become completely irrelevant in their own market.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I used to actually enjoy sports talk radio in the late 80s/early 90s when I got the stations out of Chicago, mainly the Score.

Actual fairly intelligent talk for the most part, not much fratboy grunting, which makes up about 95% of all sports talk radio now.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Czaban's national morning show is terrific. Not too serious, great bits like "Know Your Gear", his sidekicks seem less fratboy-ish than the, ugh, "Danettes."

ESPN Radio is a wasteland from late afternoon-on. The Dan LeBatard Show is mediocre and Freddy Coleman is atrocious.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's what I love about Czaban. He actively steers the show away from the generic, stupid sports arguments, but is smart enough not to get bogged down in the even dumber non-sports arguments nobody gives a shit about. When he does the "slice of life" type segments, it's typically stuff you can relate to. The co-hosts are a nice counterweight for him, too. Scott Linn does a good job reining him in as the voice of common sense when he starts to get askew.

And agree on ESPN. Outside of Van Pelt, whose show has a similar same tone to Czaban, it's mostly horrible. I do appreciate their frequent score updates, but it's largely background noise for the 5-minute drive to the store.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The "You are looking live" friday NFL primer is the best little preview I hear on the radio/pod.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

There was one guy from my state mentioned quite low on the list. Problem is he's not even among the best three in the market, so how he's the one that got mentioned makes the list quite suspect to me.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's about ratings, market size and the timeslot, # of markets in syndicated shows. It's not ranking per se.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Love JT the Brick.
    Others hate him. Why?

Cowherd, geez, totally sucks.
    Dan Patrick is the best in my book.

Ever heard Le Batard's show?
    Total gigglefest. It's fucking embarrassing.

I asked him about that once. He said he likes that.
    And I said: "But SPORTS!" ... He said: "No, GIGGLES!"

True story.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

JT is a little full of himself, frequently inaccurate in his facts and spends too much time pumping his own tires. Tomm Looney makes him palatable though.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Huge fan of the Dan Patrick show. I'll sometimes catch Van Pelt and it's OK. I've seen/heard enough of Cowherd and M&M over the years that I know not to tune in, and the rest of ESPN Radio is atrocious.

The two Denver shows listed aren't even in the top two on their own station, and with the two ties, the list really has no credibility.

12. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I like Dan Patrick and Van Pelt / Rusillo. It would seem you would have to go out of your way not to include SVP / Rusillo on a top 100 list.

Draft saved Draft deleted