1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heavy hundred of sports talk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't know if that show is on any stations in or around DC, but I caught about 15 minutes of them the other night driving back from picking up dinner while in Orlando. It was hilariously bad. The talked for a few seconds about Matt Williams going to the Nats with Dibble making a few comments hinting he could be a good manager, but wouldn't succeed in Washington because his bosses would be so bad. But I'm sure he doesn't have an ax to grind.

Then the rest of the time was spent talking about the weekend's upcoming football games with both of them noting a few times they don't really know anything about football.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

There's no science to any of that. Nobody at Talkers listened to all those shows. It's just a gimmick to call attention to Talkers, and it works.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

There's also a tie at #55. I can't stop laughing about that.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't know.

And this list is STILL ridiculously tilted toward New York when Patrick (who I like) and Cowherd (who I despise), on national TV every morning, aren't rated ahead of -- my god -- Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton.

That is simply silly. The world doesn't begin and end at the Bridge.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I live in the NY market, and have no problem with Francessa being #1, even as he becomes harder to listen to by the day. Still, the list looks like it was put out as a gag by the Boomer & Carton Show.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Mikeeeeee's tolerable in small doses, when he has a guest worth listening to. Problem there, of course, is trying to hear something out of the guest while MF keeps talking over him and trying to show everyone how smart he is.

It's painful to hear a host who has such contempt for the bulk of his listeners. He's a bully and an epic self-aggrandizer.

When you present yourself as a know-it-all, you'd better be right, all the time.

Not even close.

I'm well aware the show makes a ton of loot. But it's flawed, beyond compare.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Helpless and hopeless.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Somers grossly-underrated @ #56.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Now, that I agree with -- that he's underrated.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Czaban and Cooley have been together for two months.

Lavar Arrington? He is in the middle of a long-winded question that he started on Monday. Horrible radio.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agree. I'm not the biggest Chad Dukes fan, but I do feel bad for him being stuck with LaVar, who I love when he's not asking 32-minute questions and/or laughing like a maniac about nothing in particular on the radio. A while back, there was some thick friction between LaVar and Dukes. Seems to have been cleared up, but it got ugly there for a while.

I've definitely switched to Cooley and Czaban on my afternoon commute.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Glad to see Missanelli on the list and doing well. Haven't seen him in years, didn't know him terribly well but we knew each other a bit during our beat writer days.

Years ago, I was in Philly trying to do some double dip with an early Virginia Tech-Temple game and later a Richmond-Villanova game. He gave me a ride from A to B and on the way, he told me about this interesting opportunity he may have to leave the Inquirer and try this relatively newfangled talk radio thing. He was intrigued and a bit apprehensive but ready to go for it. Glad he did, glad it has gone well. Always struck me as a good guy and a bright guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted