1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heavy hundred of sports talk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Nov 7, 2013.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

http://www.talkers.com/?page_id=24658&preview=true

Talkers Magazine posts is second annual list of 100 most important sports talk radio host. The credibility of the lists stops at No. 1.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Did I miss Van Pelt on there?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't understand how local or regional guys can be listed ahead of national ones. I don't like Rome, for example, but I don't see how two WFAN shows can be listed ahead of him, since nobody outside of NYC listens to their schtick.

More East Coast bias, I guess.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Gargano and Macnow are only heard in Philadelphia, but I'd put them up against any of the national schmucks.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'd put Dan Patrick No. 1 and as much as I don't like their show, Mike & Mike at No. 2.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't see how anybody can realistically argue against Francesa, who is among the genre's pioneers. Like him or not, he helped sports talk become popular.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Mulligan & Hanley on the morning drive and Boers & Bernstein in the afternoon on Chicago's The Score are both top-notch talk radio, and I'm glad to see them recognized in the top 20 here. We're blessed in Chicago. Very little of the stereotypical sports talk radio blather. A little Bears-heavy in the morning for my taste, but everyone's smart and engaging.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Rob Dibble and Amy Van Dyken do a show together?
    Good lord

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

How the hell do they not have Steve Czaban, yet the most unlistenable show in Pittsburgh of Vinny and Cook? That show is four hours Ron Cook screaming down callers and Vinny with his nasally bitch whine.

And how do they have Tony Bruno and Harry Mayes and not have Mike Missanelli? Did this guy even do research on this list or just grab 100 names he'd heard of? I love Bruno but he clearly isn't the Bruno of 20 years ago on ESPN Radio.

And as much as I hate Paul Finbaum, he should be higher.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He might have been a pioneer. He might be No. 1 in NYC. But outside the tri-state area he's a nobody compared to Cowherd, Rome, Mike and Mike and Patrick.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

#12 is Pat O'Brien and Steve Hartman out of LA. If you are #13 or worse, you should just quit the business.

Yes, *that* Pat O'Brien.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Donovan McNabb is a better radio host than Steve Czaban??

Draft saved Draft deleted