1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heaven really ISN'T too far away now. Jani Lane dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe when the next GNR album comes out in 2020 or so he'll do that...

2. Mizzougrad96

I saw Guns N Roses open for Aerosmith in 1988. They blew Aerosmith off the stage. Of all of the concerts I've ever been to, that was probably the only time a true opening act blew the headliner away.

3. Mizzougrad96

Skid Row was a great band. I saw they open for Bon Jovi and Guns N Roses several times. I saw Soundgarden open for them in 1992 or so...

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I didn't mind Skid Row, though now all I think of when I hear of them was seeing Sebastian Bach play Dr. Jeckyll/Mr. Hyde on Broadway. (Don't ask, but he actually wasn't that bad).

I have to agree with mpcincal. I really liked "Uncle Tom's Cabin."

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I didn't quite complete the hair band cycle, but I got pretty close. I saw Motley Crue, GNR, Warrant, Slaughter, Poison, Skid Row, Trixter, Baton Rouge, Mr. Big, Cinderella, Def Leppard, Faster Pussycat, Firehouse, Great White, and Stryper.

Only ones I wish I would have seen are Bon Jovi (still touring, so I have a chance LOL), Van Halen and probably Whitesnake.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I guess God needed another reason for the geezer angels to yell, "Turn that noise down!"

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I got Whitesnake opening for Motley Crue on the Girls, Girls, Girls tour in 87. It was a day or two after they filmed the video for "Here I Go Again" and that was all the big talking point.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I believe this is the last recording Jani Lane put out, off a heavy metal tribute to Frank Sinatra called Sin-Atra -- "That's Life":

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Do I know you?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was pretty good, but he shredded his credibility by saying Lane walked into Columbia expecting to see a Warrant poster in 1993. That was early 1992, at the latest, when Warrant was recording their third CD--which turned out to be a not-very-good attempt at grunge called Dog Eat Dog. Why no I didn't get laid in 1992, why do you ask?

Warrant was pretty good. You could see, even on the first album, that Lane and Warrant had a cynicism and self-awareness most of the second-generation hair metal bands lacked. "Big Talk" is a really, really cynical video. It's like they knew they were just a disposable cog in the system, and that pretty soon the record company would be trying to promote/exploit somebody else, and that they'd better enjoy the ride while they could. Makes the whole Alice In Chains story kind of appropriate, and a bit tragic b/c Lane clearly had a tough time adapting to life once the system moved on without him.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

AIC story?

Draft saved Draft deleted