1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heaven Needed Someone to Lead The Illinois Nazis: RIP Henry Gibson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Actually, Keith Richards is already dead. It's just that no one has told him yet.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

"Nashville" really showed Country Music starting to lose its way ... Rhinestoned Henry ("Haven Hamilton") in the studio singing " 'Cause Jimmy's been wishin' that I'd take him fishin';His Little League pitchin' is somethin' to see."

And who could forget: "We must be doin' somethin' right .... to last ... 200 years!!"

But Henry (and Haven) would ask that we all "Keep a-goin' "

4. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

I second bigpern's take.

RIP.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Right with you, pern.

Also, one of my favorite lines in comedic film history comes from that movie, via Bruce Dern to one of the neighbor's family members.

DERN: Klopec? What is that ... slavic?
    REUBEN (angrily): No!
    DERN: About a nine on the ol' tension scale, Rube

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What's funny about 200 Years is that it's sarcastic, but yet still better than anything Toby Keith et. al put out (with the exception of Alan Jackson) post-9/11. And Gibson wrote it himself.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Rest in peace...by Henry Gibson.

Nice get by O_T on one of the best bits in Kentucky Fried Movie ("Give generously when death comes knocking at your door.") Did not know his stage name was a takeoff on Henrik Ebsen. Was a riot as the comically weak, neuroses-laden judge on Boston Legal. A solid actor who barely kept himself above the kitsch line.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I don't know why I remember this all the years later, but my favorite from Henry:

Birdie, birdie in the sky
    Laid a turdie in my eye
    I'm a big boy, I won't cty
    I'm just glad cows don't fly.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They said on the top-of-the-hour news he was the "verry interesting" German soldier in Laugh-In.

That is incorrect. That was Arte Johnson.

10. VEEEEEEEEEEEERRRY IIIIIIIIINTERESTING. UND VEEEEEEEEEEERY STUPID of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted