1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heaven needed a gate crasher R.I.P. Barry Bremen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Fun loving guy died of cancer at 64. I thought he was older.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've thought about Barry Breman a few times, wondered what became of him.

Can you imagine someone like him attempting stuff like that in this day of heightened security?

I remember a clip of him sneaking on at an all star game and Tommy Lasorda running out to the outfield and yelling, "Get the hell out of here. Who do you think you are?"

RIP

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The one stunt I remember was when he snuck onto the sideline at Texas Stadium dressed as a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader and tried to line up and dance with them.

Security beat the shit out of him on camera.

EDIT: Dammit!

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

No way he could pull those stunts today, right?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think he could.

Adam Dunn's been impersonating a professional baseball player for half a season.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I don't know if he could sneak up to accept an Emmy but perhaps he could. With sports ones, I think he'd still be able to. I mean, it's not like security's so tight that people can't sneak into the action these days, judging by the 1,875 youtube videos of people running onto baseball and football fields. And if he had a little accomplice among a player or two it'd be even easier.

If two D.C. nitwits can beat the Secret Service and crash a frickin White House dinner, then I think someone with Barry's ingenuity could still get into a layup line.

7. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

The classic story about Bremen involves the time he got onto the field during BP for the MLB All-Star Game and began shagging flies. He introduced himself to a few players, including Cleveland journeyman reliever Sid Monge, by saying, "Hi, I'm Barry Bremen. I'm an imposter." Monge's reply: "So am I."

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If he was doing this stuff today they'd give him a reality show - in addition to taser burns.
    He and Morganna would have made a good couple. Hell, Morganna herself made a good couple.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

He was a fun story at a time when the stunts he pulled wouldn't get a guy at the very least, Tasered, as is the case now.

RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted