1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heathen at Catholic Funeral

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Mar 19, 2019.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Unfortunately lost a buddy much too soon due to unknow sudden illness. Went to Mass today. A lot of up and down. I appreciate the community but glad I don’t have to do rituals.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it. A sudden death like that is hard, and we all have to find our own way through dealing with it.

I hope all involved find peace after mourning.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thanks appreciate the kind thoughts. First one in my friends group, very shocking.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your friend. And sorry about the kneeling.

I've read recently that a lot of evangelical Christians are converting to Catholicism because of the ritual, the history and consistency. That it isn't tied to one main pastor, or a specific place of worship. Growing up I always thought it was hard to relate to - and I know some people wanted it that way - and still like it that way. But there are new groups within the church that are developing a more interactive and relatable brand of Catholicism. Priests and nuns talking about their pre-Church lives, etc.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My condolences.

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

My condolences as well. I had a friend whose father died of a disease nobody could figure out. He lingered in the hospital for weeks, getting weaker and weaker, and then passed at a relatively young age. A month after, they decided it was a rare autoimmune complex. Hooray.

There's no good way to go but the whole What-the-fuck-is-killing-me? factor is an awful wrinkle.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Funny enough, the rituals are the only thing I miss about Catholicism.

CD Boogie likes this.
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm Jewish and my wife is Catholic. The few times per year that I attend church with her I appreciate the rituals. The order of the service never changes. I know where they are and when it's likely to be over.

My first wife was Pentecostal and services could go on for hours. With the Catholics I know I'll be out in no more than one hour, 15 minutes.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was baptized a Southern Baptist (not evangelical or fundamentalist) and they were sweetest people. No rituals other than hymns and sermon. Then I went to college.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I would absolutely buy an album with this title, and I wouldn't care who it was by.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

First wedding I attended as an adult was at a Catholic Church. I was with my college girlfriend (who was Christian, but not Catholic) and her good friend from home got married. I had never been to a Catholic service of any kind before. When everyone got on their knees to pray, I didn't know what to do as everyone went from standing to kneeling, so I decided to remain standing as I thought it as less disrespectful than sitting. I stood out like a 6'4" Jew at church.

Fast forward to the reception and the friends of the grooms were not underserved (a bunch of guys from St. Bonnies in their early 20s with free beer). The best man goes to give his speech and as he nears the end, he says "and what was going on with that tall Jewish guy who wouldn't kneel. I wanted to punch him".

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Did you take Communion? As a lapsed RC who does not take Communion on the rare occasions I attend Mass, I still get a bit pissed off at non-Roman Catholics receiving the Eucharist.

Draft saved Draft deleted