1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heat staff thanked for selling all season tix by getting fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 30, 2010.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Account maintenance, try to take on concession/souvenir/parking packages, maybe they could be reassigned to other parts of the organization (program ad sales?, stadium signage sales?)

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This reminds me of an old Woodenism:

Be quick but don't hurry and don't work yourself out of a job.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Methinks in this case those season ticket packages were practically selling themselves.

The 30 people were basically on hand to handle the flow. Not much they could do to not work as fast and hold onto the job longer.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would have said,

"The Heat really appreciate your willingness to order your season tickets now when so many others are holding off because of that Dwyane Wade and Lebron James contract squabble that the team is keeping out of the papers.

"Now, how many tickets did you need? Hello? Hello?"

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Big Scandal! I heard Obama & McCain fired their campaign teams! And millions have let go of their tax lawyers, with H&R Block hit badly.

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I have no idea what it's like now but back in the early 90s, I worked for a ticket broker in the New York area. (NOT a ticket scalper, he would insist - Look, we have a store and a counter and everything!)

Folks in positions like these would double their (admittedly bare bones) pay by selling off prime seats on the side. Let's hope this is still the case.

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

This is nothing like newspapers. The Heat actually put a lot of money into the production side of things - on court. In the newspaper biz I would say that's reporters and copy editors/page designers.
    The Heat cut the people who have nothing left to sell. In the newspaper biz that's ad reps, who don't know how to or just plain can't sell. At my shop there are still plenty of those walking around with big smiles.
    Tim to cut dead weight at the top in both businesses I think. How many VPs of such and such a department do you need anyways?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, what's the deal? I keep reading that the heat didn't sell out opening night. I though they had sold out all of their tickets for the entire season.

Did people bail on their deposits?

Take a look at this picture from tonight:

[​IMG]

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

There are some big blocks of empty seats in the lower bowls, but I bet those are corporate owned. The upper levels that average people can afford look to be pretty solid.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But the corporate types don't go to the home opener, on a Friday night??

Only excuse I can make for them is that it was just a couple min into the third quarter, in the picture.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I'm sure the corporate crowd skipped the home opener against a good team so they'd still have energy to go when the T-Wolves or Griz came to town.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Not every corporation makes a big effort to hand out the tickets.

Not saying it makes a ton of sense. Just saying, I don't think those empty seats are unsold or owned by individuals.

Draft saved Draft deleted