1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heat staff thanked for selling all season tix by getting fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 30, 2010.

1. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Am I missing something, or is there a reason the subheads on both the Herald and Sun-Sentinel stories are exactly the same -- right down to the "so" where there should be "to"?

Herald: Because the Miami Heat has no season tickets left so sell, the team decided to let their sales staff go.

Sun-Sentinel: Because the Miami Heat has no season tickets left so sell, the team decided to let their sales staff go

(Oh, right. The Herald's subhed ends with a period; the S-S's doesn't. That makes 'em different.)

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I hear the FIU beat is open.

3. WS

WS Member

Wrong! Scroll down a little bit

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fiusports/

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sonuvabitch.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Did the Miami Heat install Pat Riley to sell season tickets and issue a release stating the former season ticket sales staff is leaving "to spend more time with their family"?

6. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

``They let us go because there was really nothing left to do anymore,'' the fired staffer said.

Although a mass dismissal of 30 people is cold and perhaps shortsighted, paying 30 people to not do anything is stupid as well. They probably should have transitioned some of these people into some sort of other sales role -- I am sure other areas are seeing booming sales and do not have a limited product (t-shirts, sponsorships, etc.) and kept 1-2 to prepare for selling tickets for 2011-12, you can't have 30 people sitting around with nothing to do.

7. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I'm sure it had NOTHING to do with the Heat selling out of their tickets. The economy is in bad shape people!! ESPECIALLY in South Florida!! This is a cost cutting measure!!

As far as sports jobs go... My dream job has always been to be the assistant to the traveling secretary of the Yankees, but now that Big Stein's gone, I don't think the job would be quite as fun anyway!

8. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Appears the Miami Heat just followed the lead of corporate folks who own newspapers.

Cut, cut, cut -- to the bone.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In the newspaper world, there are things to be covered ---- newspaper just decides not to cover it.

In the Heat's world, there are no more tickets to be sold ---- so there is no need to employ people to sell something which does not exist.

If you employed a landscaper to maintain the 2 acres of property your house is on, would you retain his services if you moved to an apartment and no longer had a landscape to maintain? Neither would the Heat.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

With tickets sold, what else could these people do for the organization?

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Zydrunas Ilgauskas needs a posse

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I'm surprised newspapers haven't tried this...oh wait..

Draft saved Draft deleted