1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heat Index

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 4, 2010.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Gee, no rapists on the team . . . no wife beaters . . . no animal killers . . . no Ray Lewises or Leonard Littles . . . no coaches like Belicheat or cheaters like A-Rod.

So it's pretty much "We hate you because ESPN loves you."

Whatever.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

BTE, nobody likes having something crammed down their throat. The Heat are a big story, no doubt about it. But they're hardly the only NBA big story. And James, anyway, gives every indication he LOOOVES being the center of artificial attention, which also rubs folks the wrong way.
    If the Heat win the championship, more power to all concerned. But a history of so-called NBA super teams built on multiple superstars('69 Lakers, late '70s 76ers, Kobe and Shaq Lakers before Jackson got there) indicates that they have a tough road to hoe.
    And that's where the flip side of ESPN love will kick in. Today's fluffers will be February's shit-disturbers, looking for trouble and unhappiness in every nook and corner of the franchise. They'll find it, too.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

True, Gee, but by February St. Patrick Riley will have stabbed his little lap dog Eric Spoelstra in the back and fired him because of two or three straight losses. Then the almighty one can poach another championship, as he did with Stan Van Gundy, and further cement his "legacy" as one of the NBA's "great" coaches.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unless you're a Miami Heat fan, I don't know how anyone can walk away from this summer's Decision Debacle without a complete disgust for all things LeBron.

If they start winning like some of Jordan's Bulls teams did, then they'll win back their share of fans.

5. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I'm sensing Spoelstra is going to have a "family matter" that he needs to attend to by December or so.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This trio has excited me for the NBA. I now have a team to root for every game - and that's whoever plays the Heat. I can't wait to watch these guys get booed in every arena. I can't wait for James to try his tired act in Cleveland, Chicago, and New York. I can't wait until they beat by another solid team like the Lakers or Spurs. It's gonna be great.

7. Mizzougrad96

Agree completely. I'll definitely be watching a hell of a lot more than I did last season.

8. BTExpress

The Heat isn't cramming anything down anyone's throat. ESPN is. And ESPN's only doing that to people who can't unhook the umbilical cord that attaches themselves to the network.

"But I want to watch a college football game without having Heat promos crammed down my throat!!!"

Fine, we'll give you the 23,657,928th Geico commercial crammed down your throat instead of the Heat promo.

If there is no "Decision Debacle" . . . and James just quietly issues a statement saying he's going to Miami . . . is the disgust still as complete?

Or are you just using the decision as a silly excuse for irrational teeth gnashing?

So instead of the former, there was a "Decision Debacle" . . . with James going to Miami and the Boys and Girls Clubs of America getting $2 million. Is that really so awful in the grand scheme of things?

Frankly, this overreaction just smacks of the Favre crap. With people irrationally double-orgasming every time he throws an interception.

I'm familiar with the emotion. I grew up rooting against teams. Celtics. Cowboys. Alabama football. And you know what? Rooting against teams that win almost every week is just an invitation to be pissed off all the time. Grew out of it many years ago. The Heat will lose games. West-Baylor-Chamberlain lost plenty. Kareem-Magic-Worthy lost plenty.

The Heat's just a curiosity, a team with two great players and one good one. Nothing really new, except the way it was put together. But anyone with a lick of sense knew this was possible (if not downright probable) 2 years ago. So why all the ""sudden" angst? How DARE LeBron leave Cleveland. How DARE all three decide to play together. How DARE all three tell their fans they want to win multiple titles. How DARE ESPN want to take advantage of the curiosity.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Dammit, I *really* wanted the Jazz to beat the Bulls.

10. Mizzougrad96

I don't think anyone blames LeBron for leaving Cleveland for Miami. It was the way he did it. It was the way he did it. Then to come out and scream racism two months later, well, he's lost a ton of fans this summer because he acted like a douche, not because he switched teams.

If he wins big in Miami, some people will forgive him.

With Favre, it's the same thing. He's one of the best to ever play and what people are going to remember most about him is that he spent the last decade of his career trying to decide whether to play or not. It was 2001 when he told Peter King that "retirement looks better every day." adn the first time he was talked out of retiring was after the Packers lost to the Falcons in January of 2003. Yes, he has been pulling this shit for that long and people have a right to have had enough of it.

11. BTExpress

Considering he was not arrested, did not beat up any women or kill any animals or make any outrageous demands upon his arrival in South Florida, I'd say our definitions of "acting like a douche" are a few light years apart.

So it's come down to this: We want to stick a microphone in your face 24/7, and you better not stray from our accepted script, or you'll be a douche.

"LeBron, your negative Q rating among blacks only went down 1 point. But among whites it plummeted to the bottom. Do you think race is a factor?"

(BTW, Favre is not on the most-disliked list. And James is disliked more than Roethlisberger.)

How would you answer that question?

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There is something called over exposure. James has reached it.

If he plays his cards right he will be adored again, but calling people racists is not the way.

Roethlisberger was smart enough to keep his head down. Or his PR guy was smart enough to tell him that.

Draft saved Draft deleted