1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heat beat, West Palm Beach, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There will be enough interest in the Heat this year that all of the South Florida papers will see an increase in advertising this year that allows them to spend more on Heat coverage without having to cut from other spots.

2. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Life's tough. It's a new day and age in media. You go with the eyeballs. Easy to get somebody to string for you on UF-FSU-UM travel. The metro editor edits a lot of important news, but sadly, that news doesn't drive the needle on circulation, market penetration, etc. You seem to be looking for fairness. Fairness in media ended long ago.

3. What's worse -- angering a Metro editor, or ignoring the biggest story in sports, which happens to be about 70 minutes down the road?

Mizzougrad is right, there will be an uptick in advertising, especially for the Web site/blog ("Heat Zone sponsored by Braman Honda").

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not any longer and I remember when there wasn't a Miami Heat and the biggest thing in Miami was the Dolphins and the U or rather the U and the Dolphins. And yes, I've worked Miami and frequent the area. The point I was making was that Boca isn't cheap.

5. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

There are low-coast areas of Boca. And when mentioning Boca, it includes unincorporated Palm Beach, which is known as West Boca

6. Mizzougrad96

Just for the record, Ethan does not live in Boca. He may have in the past, but he lives in Fort Lauderdale.

7. FakeJeffreyLoria

FakeJeffreyLoria New Member

Post employees were told this morning Ethan took the job at around 90 grand.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I can believe the first part of Ethan took it (and if so, congrats as he completes the South Florida triple), but I find it highly doubtful -- improbable even -- that they were told what his salary is.

9. Mizzougrad96

I'm sure they announced his salary at the meeting.

Great hire.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

90K in a cesspool like South Florida will go a long way these days.

11. Mizzougrad96

It's more of a columnist job than it is a beat writer.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Love when places still "play newspaper" and hire from a competitor, triggering extra motivation from sides.

Kind of dying along with the business overall, so it's nice to see. Hope Ethan sticks it to his old paper by being aces. Hope his old paper tries to top him as much as possible. And so on.

Draft saved Draft deleted